Military wives/soldiers!!

I'm trying to do my state taxes. I know the rule of thumb is that you do the state that you signed into the military at, but on dh's W2 it says the state we're living in. so do i do it the state that we're from or the state that says on the W2?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband and I are from CA and we live in CO, but we always filed our state taxes under CA.
    Anonymous

• Ask any tax person, you could even call and ask. They "should" be able to tell you!
    Anonymous

yes but does CA or CO on your W2?
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

yes but does CA or CO on your W2?

It says California
    Anonymous

• ok thanks! my dh must have switched states and either i forgot or didn't know..thanks!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• OK-- U need to talk to someone in ACS because we are from PA... were stationed in KY.. but w2 said we lived in Texas where there IS NOT state tax lol...
    Got us out of paying it for this enlistment.. They said its legal and is done all the time...
    101InfantryWife

Answer by 101InfantryWife at 12:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The way I understood it is the active duty does home of record, and the spouse does the state you currently live in...especially if you have a job there.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 3:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

DH called me and i asked him. yeah that's what he did, he switched it over from our home state to Tn, because they don't take state taxes from the military in Tn. We're stationed in Ky as well.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009