Will you support Barack Obama's plan for energy independence and global warming?

In the inaugeration yesterday, Barack Obama cited the need to create jobs liberating America from foreign supplies of energy and fossil fuels contributing to climate change. Will he actually do it, and is there will enough in Congress to fund the idea, and are you willing to pay the price?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• HELL NO, he won't do it, or his cronies. Nor will the Hollywood and other rich fat-cat elite's that flew over 600 private jets into Dulles Airport on Monday alone. They are hypocrites on every thing they talk about. Yeah, sure, they want to force US to do it, but not them. THEY play with their millions while we can't make over $100,000. Not that anyone in my lifetime will ever get to that level ever again. Those days are over. No, I am not willing to do "my part" until THEY do their part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• only if he stops using "climate change" formally known as "global warming". that's just a phony attempt to scare us into giving him more power. i'm a nature lover, avid recycler, tree hugger, and i believe in accountability for our actions. i am all about renewable energy! however, i'm not going to be conned by lies, weak ones at that. humanity's carbon footprint pales in comparison to a volcanic explosion!
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 1:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am all for renewable energy, and yes I would be willing to pay the price to help future generations.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 3:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I will only support it if it is not cost prohibitive. We can't have citizens going broke and losing homes because they aren't able to pay their utility bills. You would have many deaths from lower income elderly not using A/C or heat because they can't afford it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, given that people are already not able to pay their utility bills because the cost keeps rising that is going to be an issue either way.
    Personally, if I had the land I'd lease it out for windmills, at a reduced rate. So many people are so greedy. I'd rather people could afford the electricity than padding my own pockets, but then I seem to be in the minority, especially around here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• continued. I would love to go completely off-grid and get rid of my electric bill completely but as of now, cannot afford that. But I do what I can. I use compact florecent bulbs, I keep my A/C set at 80 in the summer (I know, that would kill some other people but it feels great here), in the winter my thermostat is set to 55 (put on a sweater). The electric company hates me, I never get the $400 bills that my neighbors complain about. I recycle. I only drive if I have to and rarely leave town. Weekly grocery trips instead of running out every day. And so much more that I don't have space to write. I think we should ALL learn to conserve.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• But wouldn't everyone agree that America's dependency on foreign supplies of energy have cost them thousands of lives overseas and strengthened enemies? I look at my daughter and imagine her having to fight in a war in the Middle East...it's crazy to think anyone would be willing to trade in their child's life for oil. If you're not going to do it for the nation's sake, why not do it for your child's?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Anon 11:02... excellent! Thank you! I have been saying that for years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Energy independence would be good, but Dims will screw it up!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2009