Home remedies to relieve swimmers ear?

My 9 year old has an earache. I don't think a visit to the ER is necessary, and its Saturday so his doctors office is closed. Does anyone know of any safe home remedies to relieve his pain. We are giving him pain relievers, but I'd like to try something a little more long lasting. Preferrably something I already have in the house... my SO is taking the only working car to work soon!

drowninginboys

Asked by drowninginboys at 2:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Health

• we used to dilute alcohol with a bit of water and that would dry up any water in our ears after we swam. There's really great drops by similisan... holistic and helped my daughter.
    allord

Answer by allord at 4:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• heat allways helps. mineral oil warmed e bit. feels wonerful
    audreymangels

Answer by audreymangels at 3:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I agree with the above answer, you can also place a cotton ball in the ear opening. It sounds like you are doing everything you need to do. I hope your little guy feels better soon!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 3:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• we actually use sweet oil.. drop a little bit in his ear.. good as gold! and you can also get something for swimmers ear.. or whatever it was, at a pharmacy

good luck
    Illinoismomof_3

Answer by Illinoismomof_3 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• doc told me 3 parts vinegar 1 part alcohol and it should clear it up...or go by some swimmer's ear...same stuff
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 5:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I agree with the above poster, vinegar and isopropyl alcohol. My youngest son had swimmer's ear last year and it dried up the water right away!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• 3 percent hydrogen proxcide and let it sit in your ear for 15 mins then turn do the other ear
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My mom use to put poroxide in my sister ear I don't know about leaving it in for 15 mins but it should bubble up any ear debri that you might have. But it's always good to go to the Dr. as a just incase. My brother ear was hurting after coming from the beach one time in haiti, come to find out it was a bug in his ear canal. When ever a child has an ear ache also check with your local Dr.
    Chenkowife

Answer by Chenkowife at 4:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2008