Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Filing a complait against cops

Not sure where to post this, but doe it sound like i would be able to file a complaint? So on Saturday my bofriend took my car and soon as he pullded out of the drive way he got pulled over. about half and hour after they pulled him over an officer came over and asked me for permission to search the car and that it was pulled over for suspended plates, so i was cooperative and singed the paper. They told me they would let me know when they were done. Pretty soon all the cops were gone my boyfriend was aressted and I never got my keys or anything. Than I found out it wasn't pulled over for the plates and I still never heard from the cops on if i can take the car back. I went in it today because i really need the carseat. Some of my cd's were broken, The place you put sunglasses is broken my carseat was thrown in the back and my sons pictures i had in there were torn down, everything was just torn up.......

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (7)
  • Yes, you can file a complaint. Whom you file it with really depends on the structure of your PD...see if there's a citizen's ombudsman or something like that.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • continued...
    It was really unnessicery for them to treat my car the way they did when i was be cooperative. They never left a number for me or told me why my boyfrined was aressted or why my car was pulled over or searched. I am really upset about this and want to know if anyone know if i can file a complaint. sorry about spelling and everthing my son is about to wake up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • I would be pisses...I would do more than just complain!!!

    Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • you can and should file a complaint. my BF got arrested for a ench warrent for traffic court and they stopped us while we were walking home, neither of us could drive and the police stopped us because my BF looked like someone who robbed the 7-11 (or so they said, come to find out the 7-11 hadn't been robbed) and they ran his name, arrested him for the warrent, NEVER read him his miranda rights, and made me walk home in the rain late at night. So I filed a complaint, turns out I was the third person to complain about that a**hole cop and he got fired. Some cops just abuse their power and are total douche bags, and you have to file a complaint or the supervisor will never know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • you don't have to let the police search your car. as long as you tell them no, they can't do anything about it until they're granted a warrant. i'm so sorry this has happened to you, and i hope it can get cleared up as quickly as possible! so next time......respectfully tell them NO.

    Answer by chickenhobbit at 1:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • First let me say sorry about tour car. now..It depends why was your boyfriend arrested? if they found something in the car after you consented to the search they can search everywhere and don't have to be "neat" about it. Since you conscented to teh search there really is no complaint to file. you don't have to agree to have your vehicle search.

    Answer by ny.chica at 8:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • I doubt there is much to complain about the mess, but I would imagine that you could complain about the broken things. That was really crappy of them.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.