Is it really necessary to have an anonymous option?

If you feel the need to hide who you are by answering a question, why are you answering at all? I see so many answers posted by people afraid to be held accountable for what they say. If I have something to say I make it clear what I am saying and why, if I feel an explanation is necessary. Even if my opinion isn't popular. What's the point of being afraid to say what's on your mind if it's important enough for you to say it that not saying it isn't an option?

sunfreezeinmi

Asked by sunfreezeinmi at 12:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in About CafeMom

• be careful w/ this topic i said something like that a few days ago and everyone got all upset. but i agree w/ you. but i do understand why some people would use it for say personal reasons or things in thier past thier giving advice on that they do not want everyone else to know
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• YES......LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Because who I am does not matter. It's the answer I give that matters.
    It's how rude or nice I choose to be that matters.
    People are looking for advice and answers and it's our job to answer respectfully regardless if they see some pic of us or maybe a little information on our profile page but what does that count for?
    I like being behind the anonymous. I am a "to myself" kind of person and I see women on here who are known by their name and get talked about, bashed, stalked etc just because people come up with reasons to hate.
    I'm anonymous. That's that. It's my ANSWER that counts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree the rudeness is out of control but the anon function is very useful for moms who need answers to sensitive questions or want to comment on a hot topic with out the post dramam following them back to their profiles. rudeness is against guidelines and if everyone exercised her right to report rude comments those answers would disappear.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 12:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think it's only necessary if asking or answering a question of an extremely personal nature. But for the people who use it to hide behind their nastiness I don't think it's right.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i agree happy2bme7
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I forgot to add. I answer anonymous on the "just for fun" questions and the simple questions either way.
    It's not about me hiding because I say something rude. There are TONS of things that i've said anonymously that wouldn't offend anyone! Really though. My profile and picture will not tell you anymore than me being anonymous does. You'll see my picture, yea. But it doesn't matter. You'll see my child. You'll see a little "about me" message which does not really tell you WHO I am. You won't know WHO I am unless you've been a part of my life. My personal life. My family life etc.
    I really don't like my name being all over the internet and pictures being all over the net. My profile is private.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• yeah, i suppose there ARE good reasons for the anonymous button. I just see so many people who say something completely uncalled for and it's like... if that's how you feel, own it! i wasnt posting this to stir up trouble, i was honestly curious as to why people use the anonymous option besides bashing other people.
    sunfreezeinmi

Answer by sunfreezeinmi at 12:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't get it either or like it!  I mean just like the Anonymous comment made here.  If your profile is set to private what does it matter?  if you dont want anything about you on the internet sit home in a closet! I am NEVER anonymous, I mean serious what am I gonna do on the internet that is SO freaking personal that I can't block anyway?  I think they are either "trolls" or men!

1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 3:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't use it to be rude, I use it to prevent the reception of private nasty messages from those who think they know it all and are perfect.

Since starting to come here to the answer section (about 2 weeks) I now have about 7 names on my blocked list...because they felt it necessary to send nasty messages and insist that they knew what was better for my kids (even though one was only 16 with a 6 month old and my youngest is two, I'm much older than that with a college education...but, yeah, she knew what was better for my kid)

I try to answer to the best of my knowledge and don't feel like dealing with the immaturity level on this site on a personal level
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009