drying up question

so i have been trying to dry up and NOT get a plugged duct or Mastitis (again). Today i pumped, first time in 48 hours, and only got 2 oz. at what point is it "safe" to not pump anymore? and if i let it go now, what happens to the milk thats in me does it get absorbed into my body, or do i have to pump until its gone gone?

any help would be great!!!!!

fairygirl13

Asked by fairygirl13 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The more you pump the more that's made.

Did you stop cold turkey? Really not the best idea...replace the nursing sessions with pumping, as many times a day as you had been nursing if you don't want baby at the breast. Drop ONE session every three or four days.

Cabbage leaves in yoru bra...change them when they stink. Take sage pills (health food store). You should be done in about a week or two depending on how many sessions a day you start with.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When you pump you are telling your body to make more milk so it won't go away by pumping. I nursed my son for seven months and we just gradually stopped. I still had milk coming out for quite awhile after he stopped nursing. I never got any breasts sorness or clogged ducts. Itjust eventually stopped. I dont know what to tell you, that's just how it appened for us. GL!
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 12:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• thank you both!
    my DD has not been at the breast since Nov, i had just been pumping, i did start with cutting down, and after i was down to 1 time a day, i went to every 2 days, and had been getting 4 oz, now i only got 2, i just want to be done! i hate my pump now, its like a shadow that wont leave me alone! lol
    fairygirl13

Answer by fairygirl13 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• my dr said to not pump and to wear tight fitting bras. but it if got super pain full i would pump just a litle bit to relieve it. i basically wore a tight bra with a towel shoved down my top until i dried up (and did not leave the house as i would look like an idiot with a towel shoved down my shirt ahah)
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 12:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When you want to dry up you stop pumping all together. If you are pumping you are producing.
    _Sammie_

Answer by _Sammie_ at 1:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009