I have a two week old and she has alot of nasal congestion....

My two week old has alot of nasal congestion and you can hear it when she breathes... i keep trying nose aspirators and saline drops and it just isn't doing it. I took her to the doctor and they said it was just a cold.. but I'm terrified that she will get so congested she will quit breathing! I also went and bought a vaporizer but it seems not to be doing anything.. I just don't know what to do...

AshleyS919

Asked by AshleyS919 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you brestfeeding? Breastmilk in the nose clears congestion in a snap.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• add a couple drops of eucalyptus oil to the vaporizer too. :)
    otherwise you just have to ride it out..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• gdiamante is right, breastmilk works wonders for the stuffles!! i use saline and aspirator. try plugging the other nostril when you suction out her nose. Also, let the saline sit in there for a couple of minutes. A humidifier will help some. so will propping up her crib mattress a little with a pillow under the mattress. ( Be sure the pillow is under the mattress and on't lay the baby on the pillow, though and make sure she can't roll into soft bumpers or between the mattress and the rails.)
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Run the shower.. HOT.. with the door closed...wait about 5 minutes, then cool the water to a safe heat, and hop in with your back to the water. Hug your baby safe to you. This promotes bonding between baby and mom, and it WONDERFUL for unclogging a stuffy nose. Just dont keep the bathroom door open, or turn on your exaust fan. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 2:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2009