What is the difference in mastitis and engourgment? Feeling wise.....

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mastitis is not only EXTREMELY painful (engorgement would feel like a love pat in comparison), but you'll have a fever and you'll see red streaks on your breasts.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Mastitis makes you feel awful! You feel sick, fatigued and have a fever and it's very painful. your breast will feel hot and heavy and very tender. it'll have red streaks on it, too. There is usually a hard lump in the breast somewhere from a blocked duct (most common cause of mastitis). it won't go away with pumping/nursing. in fact, it won't go away at all until you start antibiotics. Mastitis can go from "just mastitis" (if there is such a thing!) to an abcess VERY quickly so if you think you have it go see your doc ASAP!

Engorgement can feel uncomfortable, hurt a little even, but it goes away when you pump/nurse (or soon after). You don't have the tired achiness of the fever and infection and engorgement won't cause red streaks 9though the only place i got stretch marks was on my breasts from engorgement, so you can get those)
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• yeah for SURE. I've had mastitis. My boob was the size of a basketball and burning hot. I had a high temp for days. doc couldn't believe it. get yourself looked at, maybe you're catching it just at the beginning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2009