How can I get my 16 month old to not flip out during diaper changes?

Every time I change my 16 month old he flips out. He screams and kicks and does everything he can to get away. We tried distracting him but that doesn't seem to work and I am 8 months pregnant so when he kicks it hurts!

mssemmy

Asked by mssemmy at 4:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Two of my kids did that and all I could do was throw one of my legs over the top of them so they couldn't escape while I was changing them. They got so used to it that they'd start calming down when I'd do it, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son is almost 16 months and he acts the same way during diaper changes. He doesn't want to lay down long enough for a diaper change. I have also tried giving him toys or singing songs. Lately, he likes it if I make him my helper. He holds the clean diaper or the wipes for me.
    JaredsMommy07

Answer by JaredsMommy07 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You could try starting to potty train him. Maybe he is ready to be a big boy. :)
    NorthCaliMama

Answer by NorthCaliMama at 6:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter does the same thing so i let play with a clean diaper while change her and she lays there and before you know it I'm done. Try it and see what happens.
    AaliyahsMama163

Answer by AaliyahsMama163 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My daughter, now 21 mnths, was a handful on the changing table starting at about 15 months. Songs would help, or another diaper. I knew she wasn't ready for potty training quite yet, but I did buy a pack of the smallest pull-ups to keep for when it seemed she wanted to wrestle alligators. What a difference! Good luck!
    lilymonkey

Answer by lilymonkey at 3:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2008