Infant having a really hard time pooping!

It started a month or two ago. She is 4 months old. and everytime she has to poop, she starts fussing, turns red and grunts and strains everytime she goes. Also it goes to the extent that she grunts so hard that she gasps for hair and has to try and catch her breath every time. its very scary! And she does this even if her stools are mushy or runny. I am not sure why she has such a problem going? has anyone ever experienced anything like this and what can i do to help her? everytime she has to poop, i have to stop what i am doing sit her up and exercise her legs to help her go.. and she just struggles every time! the doctors say its normal, and i just cant see how it ccould be normal! please help!

momma_2011

Asked by momma_2011 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really is pretty normal. They can be pretty dramatic when they poop.

As a friend of mine here says "Poopin is serious business"

If your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Truly
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• I think Brawnwyn is right. As long as the poops are not hard and whitish, then I don't know that I would worry. Mention it at the next well check, but some kids are great at the intestinal stuff, and others have some issues they need to work out along the way. I have had one of each and both were very healthy at that age. Try not to worry too much.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• Like Brawn said, that is actually very normal. I wouldn't worry if she is going on a regular basis and her poops aren't rock hard. My son does the exact same thing when he poops and he always has runny runny runny poops. DD did the same thing when she was that age, in fact she still turns red in the face and concentrates really hard (that is how we know when she is pooping) and she is 1 1/2.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• Thanks for responding... i just dont see how it would be so hard whn her poop may not even be hard or anything... and how she constantly gasps for air during it! its so scary :(
    momma_2011

Comment by momma_2011 (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• I wouldn't worry. It is normal.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• Those little intestines are brand new. They hardly have any mileage on them so give it a little time. It'll get better :)
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• It may not be really hard for her to poop, but this is just her reaction to pooping. As someone said, as long as they aren't hard little balls of poop, this is must most likely her way of getting business done.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• Thanks.. its just strange, how she never did it in the beginning.. and i havent changed anything that i was feeding her. all she gets his her gentlease formula.. and then all of a sudden she started struggling so bad. i know babies will turn red and grunt and stuff.. but the gasping for air is what really scares me. and how bad it hurts her. its just not fun. we have to go through it everyday.
    momma_2011

Comment by momma_2011 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• My son had this problem to the point where he wouldnt poop and would have this huge bloated belly. he would grunt, strain, gasp for air, cry, and have a wicked hard time pooping no matter what type of poop it was. His dr said some infants have a hard time using their anal muscle (cant remember the name he said it was) but he said it was like any other muscle as time went on it would get stronger and he would be better with it. For the times where he wasnt pooping for periods of time we had to insert the thermometer like we were taking his temp for a second just to get him to move that muscle and sure enough it worked.
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 10:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2012

• luv BrawnwynII comment
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 7:23 AM on Mar. 19, 2012