Can my husband get unemployment?

My husband had two jobs. One full time, one part time. The full time one paid a lot more than the part time. He lost his full time, better paying job tonight. Can he file for unemployment and still keep his second $8.50 a hour paying job? We have 5 kids. (dont know if that matters)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Depends on your state's rules. In CA, the amount you earn in a part-time job gets deducted from your weekly unemployment benefit. So, if you have a weekly benefit of $300, and you earn $170 a week in that part time job, your unemployment check will then be $130/week.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thank you. I guess I should tell him to at least try. I guess the worst they can say is no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't think so because technically he's working. I live in MA and my hubby lost his job and he couldn't start collecting until his severance was over. It's very frustrating but certainly doesn't hurt to apply for unemployment. Hopefully he'll get it but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Have you applied for assistance (wic, food stamps, oil help, gas help, electric help)?? I would try that too. GOOD LUCK!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 9:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• rocamom, I think they're giving you inacurate info--you CAN get unemployment while still getting severence pay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2009