Do you allow your teenage daughter to accept expensive gifts from a boyfriend?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 12:30 AM on Mar. 19, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I do not have teens yet, but I think it would depend on the gift itself. My parents didn't care that a boyfriend bought me a $50 or even $100 necklace, but if he had given me a ring that would have been a different story.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:38 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• Of course, he spent money on her. It would be rude not to accept it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• My dd is 5 and not allowed to have a boyfriend, but at the teen age you're talking about, I don't know. What is the gift priced at, who is the boy, how is their relationship, you know? I would probably talk about it with my husband and then both of us with her about it....
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:35 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• We have not yet faced this situation. It depends on the age of the teen, and the gift

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• Yep and I allow my sons to give them.

Answer by gemgem at 7:48 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• Unless they have a job no... but then my dd is a long ways from being a teen.. but i second guess everything.. that's just me.. why is he getting her something so expensive does he want to get in her pants... ohhhh gosh i really don't want to think about this.. ugh
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 8:44 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• My daughter is not allowed to date. She is 15. Nor is she allowed to have a boyfriend. She has the rest of her life to be a grown up . Highschool and College are for enjoying yourself and discovering yourself and your path.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I would want to know how much are we talking,, and how often? I would say constant showering of any gifts (no matter what the cost) would be a bit of a red flag, if we are talking for birthday, anniversary and it is less than $100 I wouldn't have too big of problem, but something very expensive like a computer, or jewelry,or a car would involve me having a talk with his parents.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I would if he was a trustworthy, good kid
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2012

• My DD is 5 but I am don't think I would have a problem with it as long as there were not any expectations that go along with the gift. A promise or engagement ring in high school..... NO a necklace, sure
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2012