Need Help quitting smoking, any advice?

This is so awful... Im coming out of a horrible situation, just had to relocate accross country from my ex when i caught him with child porn. my son is great and about to turn one.. but i picked up this bad old habit again during the legal stuff. i am still nursing and i know how awful that is i just get so depressed im not sure what to do to stop it has become part of my routine now when he goes to bed. i dont do it around him and wash and change afterwards... but i know its in my milk and i cry over it but i cant seem to stop. any help? please dont answer if its going to be a lecture i feel so horribly guilty already i am reaching out for some positive feedback, thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Health

• Im recent quitter. Today was 100 days smoke free for me. I did it cold turkey. I was a 30 year smoker and I have tried to quit before. It worked this time for some reason. I guess I was really ready. Addictions of all kinds have one thing in common. You have to be ready to quit or it just isnt gonna work. YOU have to be ready to quit for you. Not for your baby or your breast milk. For you. I cant give you anything but a virtual hug. Its the hardest thing you will do is giving up that one thing that is always there for you unconditionally. It doesnt ask for a damn thing........it doesnt have to. Its killing you softly. Good luck momma.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There is this new Rx thar is out and you keep smoking while taking the Rx for 7 days and then go on taking for a year after you quit, it make the nicotine from the cig stay on the receptors in the brain that makes you want to smoke. supposidly it makes you want to quit because of the constant nicotine in the brain. I believe its worth a try if you want to quit. most insurance cover it. if not then a cheap co pay
    carolinagirl820

Answer by carolinagirl820 at 1:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• don't beat yourself up! you have a lot of stuff going on. it's awesome that you are still breastfeeding. i believe the nicotine leaves your system in 90 minutes, if you have a pump you could pump & dump. as far as smoking goes, i think a lot states have programs to help people quit. i quit for 3 yrs, started again for a few months, got pregnant and quit cold turkey. it definitely isn't easy, you have to get your mind set on what you want. i just kept telling myself how disgusting it is and how bad it is healthwise. think about your little one and stay away from smokers. try to eliminate stress, if at all possible. if you don't already, start taking a good multi-vitamin from whole food sources. i chewed tea tree oil sticks-they are like toothpicks, but thicker. don't feel bad, just try to make a conscious effort to cut down/quit, and if you mess up-don't beat yourself up.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• be careful with medications, patches, and gums. since you are breastfeeding, i don't think it is safe to use them. if at some point you aren't breastfeeding and if you're still smoking, i've heard people have good results with chantix. but breastfeeding and smoking is better than not breastfeeding. good luck!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am 3 months quit now...I started again when I went hru my divorce...and continued for 3 1/2 yrs after the divorce was over. I finally enough of it. I was tired of feeling guilty about it, and trying to hide it. I was worried about my health...a few things I did. I put signs on all te exits of my house that said things like: I want to smell good. I don't want cancer. I want white teeth. I want to be a good example for my daughter. I couldn't go out to smoke without seeing them. I stayed off the phone at night cause I was usually chatn and smoking so I had to change my behavior and stay busy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I used the patch the first few weeks on a low dose and I joined quitnet.com. It is a website that tracks how many cigs you have not smoked, how much money you have saved and how many days you have added to your life. You can do it! does something great for yourself not damaging. Save the money all month and blow it on a massage instead of those cigs!! You are worth it!
    ria7

• I also did not throw out my last pack...I know it sounds crazy, but I felt like I would be stuck at home and knowing that I couldn't get out to get any. I buried a half a packin the back of a cabinet and then I had power over them. The whole idea of not having access to them made me want them more...but only you know what will work for you.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2009