Seriously what is the deal?

Ok, I took my 21 month old out of the crib b/c we were just out of room, and now he shares a set of bunk beds with his brother. I took him off a nap b/c when he goes to bed, he hasn't quite grasped the concept yet that he must stay there. I rock him and as he's drifting off to sleep, I lay him down. I cover him up and he sleeps great until between midnight and 2. Then he gets up and comes into my room, crawls in bed, we wrestle for about an hour and I'll put him back down b/c of sheer exhaustion. He cries for a while, and I'm hoping he doesn't wake the whole house up b/c he screams mommy come here. He has a night light and when we can we let his brother sleep with him so he can get used to his new big boy bed. He is restless every night all night long after he stirs between midnight and 2. He's not sick, he's not cutting teeth, he isn't falling out of bed, I don't know what to do. He finally will go sleep at 6:30 am.

Central_IL_Mom

Asked by Central_IL_Mom at 1:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ran out of room. lol. He's not crowded by his brother b/c he was restless before we started letting him sleep with him. We thought maybe having brother sleep with him would help! I don't want him in my bed b/c he kicks like a MULE ALL NIGHT LONG! lol Somebody help me lol. We've tried music, no music, doesn't make a difference.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The deal is he's 21 months old. **grin** He's pretty darned normal in my book.

Tomorrow, go look for a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution"...there's an edition for toddlers, I believe.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My other kids NEVER did this. Their sleep pattern developed early in life and has carried through, and he never had a problem before we put him in the big bed........I'm guessing it's just from the change, but I don't know if I'll make it, I don't want to put the crib back up but I don't know what else to do.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• What time are you putting him to bed? you've already cut out the nap so that should be helping you may just need to adjust his bed time a bit keep him up a little later even by 30 min to an hour, another option If he is falling asleep at 6 am what time is he sleeping till? you may need to make him wake up by 7 or 8 a few days in a row so he gets tired enough to go to bed on time and sleep deeply. we have been through this with two of my 3 and it was hard the first week or two adjusting their sleep times after naps but they soon fell into a good sleep pattern.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm in IL too, near chicago.He is trying to play you mom,lol they are clever boogers.He keeps yellng for you because he wants to play,can you put a book or something in bed with him and whenhe wakes take him back and say"o now you look at your book til you go to sleep".It is a phase that he will go thru for a bit and then he will get it.How new is the new bed?At 21 months it is hard because you cannot reason with him kwim?hang in there and do not let him back in bed with you because it is harder to get them out as they get older.You may just have to sit w/him until he sleeps or risk him waking up the house.A couple of nights of knowing you are there but are not going to have midnight wrestlemania and he should be ok.hang in there mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We had success with putting a crib mattress in our bedroom floor to help our son get used to sleeping on his own while staying close to us
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• He was going to bed about 8 but he was getting up at 6 and wanting to stay up, so I started putting him down at 9 or so. If he's up past 10 he's dead to the world, lol but I don't really want to do that to him, I feel like that's too late, maybe not tho. He's trying to play me, but I try to put him back to bed and let him CIO. He normally doesn't cry very long. I will go back in there one time and tuck him back in and then I tell him I'm not coming in here anymore, you have to go to sleep. lol
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If at 10 he is passing out completely then that is your best bet, my kids have different bed times sometimes you have to let their bodies guide you in bed times all kids are different and at this age as long as you dont need him up at a specific time then sleeping 10 -7 is a good nights rest. just as an example here are how my kids current schedules are and they all get good sleep my 11 y/ sleeps 9pm-6:30 or 7 am, my 8 y/o sleeps 10 pm till 6:30 or 7 am and my 4 y/o just changed her schedule previously it was 9:30 or 10pm till about 7 or 8 am now she is on a 8-8:30 pm till 6:30- 7 am. Recently at a check up our doctor asked about her sleep schdule and how i determined bed times and when I told her what i do she agreed that we had done the right thing and that my kids were getting good sleep.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am having the same problem with my 2-year-old. I am aware that you are having a spacial problem:) I let the baby lay down with his big brother when bedtime rolls around. I give him one chance. I have to be consistent. I tell that if he gets out of bed one more time, I will put him in his crib. He is not happy about it. One day, it will click and he will stay in bed.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• He actually went to bed on his own tonight and konked out in like 3 minutes. Now the real test will be to see if he gets up at 2 am, although he did last night and I walked him back to bed, and he went back to sleep. He was back in my bed tho at a little b4 7 am and I snuggled with him and he and I both went back to sleep! lol
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 12:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2009