At what age should spanking stop? I have a 17 month old & only gave him a swat on his diaper as a warning but for those who do spank what age is to old to spank?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• why are you spanking a 1 year old?? Arent u smarter than that? Lets spank our kids and then wonder later.........why they hit ppl. COnfused? I dont spank my kids period and they are well behaved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I didn't say I spank I gave a little swat on top of his diaper once as a warning geez i saw a post about spanking & was wondering at what age do people stop Read the Question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Tell anon to be quiet. I used to give a tap to my son too and he's 7 now. He also got his hand smacked at 17 months. Guess what? He is growing up to be a FINE YOUNG MAN! lol

Anyway, I spank him every now and then at 7..maybe 2x since he turned 7. I think he is getting a little old, taking away stuff seems to be more effective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Be quite Anon!~ LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If they live in my house and need it for something, I don't care if they are 18 if they need it they'll get it! "if you spare the rod, you spoil the child"!!!!!!!!!!!

And anon SSSHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, this is going to vary for lots of people because kids are so different. I know many moms who are of the opinion that if they are in your home, then they could very well earn a spanking, but I also know other moms who stopped around puberty or just after. Personally, I am open to a spanking at any age, but its rare that I do. My oldest is 14 and its been a long time since she got one. Taking her electronics does a far better job with her, however, she did earn a few licks several months ago when I asked her 3 times to get off the computer and then, her dad told her 2 times as well. He got the paddle and made a believer out of her. It was nothing but pure disrespect and disobedience and its not tolerated. cont.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Our ten yr old responds much better to spankings because shes very hard headed. Our 7 yr old is not one that we have to spank very often either. We reserve the right to spank at anytime but usually we save them for serious issues. Blatent disrespect and disobedience is spank worthy on our home. I am lucky that my children are very well behaved for the most part and we don't have to get in their business too much. When we do, its very hard on my heart, but I do it because I want them to be self disciplined adults full of character and integrity.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:40 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I spank my kids on occasion when necessary -- generally for major repeated offenses and most of which involve their safety. I make it a habit tho to be sure that I am never spanking out of anger - that is where abuse starts in my opinon.

As for when is too old to spank, I don't necessarily think there is an age that is too old. With my 13 year old, we pretty much were done at age 4 --- since then, she has only been spanked twice: once when she was 8, and believe it or not, once last week (after some MAJOR repeated offenses). My DH was shocked that I actually put her over my knee... but you'd be amazed at the change in her behavior since then. And no, she doesn't hate me now and even she felt the spanking was deserved.

For the most part tho, I have found with both my kids that just mentioning "Do you need a spanking?" is usually enough to turn their behavior around. :)
    FLSunshineMom

Answer by FLSunshineMom at 1:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Also for the record, I do NOT believe in spanking children with ANYTHING other than my own hand... if you cannot feel the amount of pain you are inflicting by the sting in your own hand, you have no idea what you are doing to your child -- bruises or marks or not. That in my opinion is blatent abuse.
    FLSunshineMom

Answer by FLSunshineMom at 1:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009