So these are the signs??

Chloe will be 3 in June and shows NO interest in the PT, she talks, can undress/dress herself and even takes her messy diapers off and brings them to me. So these are the signs right? When I suggest she sits on the pt she says NO and even worse if I try to put pull ups on her......My boys were easy to train and were already trained by now, I was told girls were easier...what'sthe deal and how do I get her to do it??

sixpalominos

Asked by sixpalominos at 1:43 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she have a potty chair or her special seat that she can sit on the potty? Try putting real underwear on her and let it feel what it feels like to be wet and poopy in real undies. Let her pick them out. Ask her when she is going to potty train. A friend of mind told her mom she would the summer she turned three and she did. lol. Remember all kids are different. My first one completely day trained at 22 mos, my 2nd one almost 4, my third one completely day and night trained by 2, and now I'm working with my 4th who is 21 months and will pee if you put him on the potty and will tell you he pooped in his pants.grrrr lol Hang in there.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My son will be 3 in April and hes fairly resistant to the potty as well. He will go pee in it, but when I ask him about pooping, he emphatically states NO he is not going. Make sure shes got a potty and knows what its for and see if you can get her into a routine even if its just sitting on it. Let her watch everyone else go as well. Then just wait. She will eventually show more interest. There are some kids that you have to eventually just MAKE them go, but its not that often. Don't push too hard just in case this is fear based and shes really scared to go. Keep encouraging and definitely offer incentives like skittles or m & ms or stickers. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• "Girls are easier to train" is a generalization - like "Boys are better at sports" and "Girls are better at reading". Some kids are just stubborn. My brother's middle daughter flatly refused until nearly 4. So what are the signs?
    Big signs are an interest in what you are doing in the potty and able to go 2 to 3 hours between wet diapers. Being able to talk or working her own clothes aren't necessary. And if a newborn could take off her own dirty diaper, I think she would... it's easier than screaming until an adult comes along.
    Get a timer and set it for an hour. When it goes off, it is time to sit on the potty... not "do you need to" or "do you want to" but "it IS time to". Remember, she wants to play, not sit on the potty. Let the timer be the bad guy that tells her she MUST go sit on the potty for a couple minutes. And ditch the pull-ups. Keep her in diapers until you know she is getting the idea then switch to panties.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009