does anyone have any suggestions for a 3 year old who will use the potty for several days well and then wake up the next day and tell me they can't use it . I have been allowing this child to use a pullup and every day I keep asking. Any comments?

Potty training help!!!

norfolk

Asked by norfolk at 3:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My lil girl is doing this too! Try not to get impatient... that only makes them more upset!
    We took pull ups away completely! They will get tired of the feeling of their big kid pants getting ruined! We have these pads for her to sit on, so that if there is an accident, our couch doesn't get ruined...not sure where ya find them though!
    amie_2007

Answer by amie_2007 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I would take them shopping for underwear and then take the pull up away when they are awake and prompt them frequently to go potty. My daughter will ask for something if she has an accident as she thinks it will happen again. I help her be successful for the next day or two and she is happy again.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Tell your child that tomorrow is a new day and we are wearing big kid panties, and when they keep wetting themselves, they will finally get the picture to use the potty! Let me just suggest that you will need a pull up for nap time, and you be the parent and tell your child that this is what is happening! You may have extra laundry to do, but it's the best advice I have! I have been working with and potty training kids for about 9 years now! I've been doing this since I was about 12/13 ish!!!! I am now 21!
    Good luck to you in you journey through the laundry room!!!! :) if you need anything else, just send me a message!!!!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• What do you mean, you keep asking? If you ask "Do you want to wear big kid pants or pullups" when you really want him to wear pants, then don't give him a choice.
    An easy way to get to this is to have your current bag of pullups be your last. As you get to the end of the bag (the last 10 or so) let him know that these are the last ones you will ever have. Remind him everytime you put one on him and let him see the pile get smaller. When they are gone, they are gone. Then start asking him "Do you want to wear your blue big kid pants or the green ones?"
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My 3 1/2 year old did the same thing, I just kept at her everyday and she finally started asking to go, or telling us when she had to go. Every child is different,they seem to go at their own pace.
    Lee679

Answer by Lee679 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I'd get rid of the pull ups and go straight to panties and let her start deciding when to go. Limiting your "asking" and "making" her go.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Girl go straight to the store and let her pick out some pretty undies anything she wants, let her carry to the register to pay and when you get home have her model for everyone and say "oooh wee they are too pretty"!!I did this with all my grands and it truly made a big difference, and get ride of the pull ups have her help because she is a big girl and has PRETTY UnDERS now, no baby pants. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2008