what's the deal with baby tylenol/ibuprofen?

i've heard some people say, giving babies tylenol can damage their liver? is that true? what other negative affects can it have. i try to use homeopathic stuff but, dd's teething and, it doesn't seem like enough. is it the same with ibuprofen? pros/cons for ibuprofen? i know you can't give that until they are over 6 months old.

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can actually give your baby some pain reliever to soothe their little fever. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't abuse it. Ask your pediatrician first though to make sure that he/she agrees. If she is teething then try some numsit medicine. They have it in these convenient little qtip like things that you just rub on their gums. Good luck. It will get better, believe me.
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 1:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• u dont have to wait til they are over 6 months and its only bad for them if u give them more than recommended and more than 5 times a day
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am also using homeopathic stuff. but if my son started being in obvious pain from theething than i would use the oragel instead of tylenol. i wouldn't use it often just if he REALLY needed it.
    Tylenol and ibuprofen are both bad, i would only use those if he had a fever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• What have you tried naturally? Teething tablets? There is a product made by Herbs for Kids called Gum-o-mile and it has cloves in it.. you rub it on the gums. It works great, with out all the negative side effects of Tylenol or ibuprofen or orajel. (Orajel hardens gums and prolongs teething process).

As for using it. My ped told my that Ibuprofen should never be used on a child younger than 6 months.. but he recommended not under 1 year.

If you absolutely must use Tylenol make sure to follow the correct dosing and don't use it on a regular basis.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• as for the 2nd reply anon.. Ibuprofen is suppose to be given every 6 hours. There aren't 30 hours in a day, so you shouldn't give it more to them 4 times in a 24 hour period lol...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• In appropriate amts, its fine. I would avoid having to use it often, but it sounds like you have tried other things. Its not going to hurt them if you are dosing correctly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i have hylands teething tablets and gel, and the homeopathic drops with the disney characters on it-recommended by my la leche leader. next time i order stuff, i'll get the clove stuff. thanks for all your replies, they are really helpful, but i'm still wondering what negative affects tylenol can have?
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• dana,
    You can give tyl , but wait to the motrin until she is over the age of 6 months. Or is OKed by ped. Sometimes when they are sick, like O they will suggest using both. Tyl then 2 hours later the motrin. As far as teething a lot of people have used the teething tablets, they are cheaper at walgreens by your house. But, they are homopathic and not approved by fda. So if she is on other meds ask pedi again. We did get O and vibrating teething ring at walmart and they also have them at kmart on south 4th. Text me and let me know
    tsc2007

Answer by tsc2007 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009