? about child-led weaning

i've been reading different stuff and it seems like some people have breast issues when they wean. is this because the mother is the one who initiates the weaning? i plan on letting dd wean whenever she's ready. are mastitis and clogged ducts somethings i'll have to look forward to? this is hopefully a very long way away, i was just curious.

kyriesmommy13

Asked by kyriesmommy13 at 2:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• My daughter weaned herself at 21 months... I never had any breast issues and my milk dried up right away.

I think it depends on age, supply, and amount nursing. We stopped nursing my daughter throughout the night at around 14 months. So she was nursing when she woke up, going to nap, and going to bed with maybe a couple nursings in between until she was around 17 months. Then it dropped to naptime and bedtime because she just didn't need it.

If weaning is slow and gradual and both parties are happy you probably wont have breast issues.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Moms who let baby lead the weaning usually will not have any problems.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009