When do babies start having tantrums? My son is 6 months and I think he's starting to throw tantums. I've tried talking to him, but it doesn't really do anything. Should i just ignore it or try to distract him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How so is he having tantrums? He is 6 months so he cant throw himself on the floor? My son didnt start having tantrums until he was a yr. They are not that bad but when he does it I let him get out his frustration and then I talk to him. My son can understand what i am saying so he then shows me what he wants and if I say no he might do it again I again i let him do it on his own and ignore him until he is done. But if your baby is only 6 months I would say distract him. He might just be bored not so much want something. I am not sure what your son does so I cant really say much but thats what I would do
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• my daughters all started tantrums about that age..fun huh! Pending on what the tantrum was for I had differant options. If they were hungry and threw a fit because I wasn't getting food fast enough I would bring them to kitchen with me and let them watch. If it was a tantrum because they wanted something they weren't supposed to have..then I just said no and left it at that. Ignore them unless they are causing harm to themself by hitting head on floor or something..then I would just put them in their room by toys and walk away. after a bit of crying they usually got over it.
    peachtree1124

Answer by peachtree1124 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Honestly, I don't believe at 6 months they can have tantrums.. I think they can get frustrated because of their inability to do many things but he's 6 months old lol.. he's not consciously doing it..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Sure he can throw tantrums. Its not the same kind as what a 2 yr old would throw, but babies can be super manipulative. Hes telling you that hes not happy with what your doing or he wants something else or even that hes frustrated. Talking to him is pointless for obvious reasons, but distracting him and changing his scenery will be a good idea. Its not like hes going to throw himself on the floor, but fit pitching is something that all people can do even from the womb...LOL... Sounds like your keeping your cool and handling it well.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2009