How do *you* define racism? Do you think you are a racist?

I am curious to read the replies. I don't consider myself a racist. But as hard as I try it pops into my head at the weirdest times. For example, at a school function tonight a woman was reacting to her son's behaviour. I immediatly thought, sheesh, can't that black woman control her child? Why did that pop up? Why couldn't have been simply "woman"? I hate that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think what you said was racist. I often hear people referring to a blonde as "that blonde woman."
    It's just how people identify people they don't know.
    I hear people say "that heavy woman."
    That "red headed woman."
    That "skinny woman." and so on to identify the person because they don't know their name or who they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think racism is when you judge someone or people based on skin color, even the slightest thing like your example I would consider racist...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I was raised in a very multi cultural community. I believe there are bad elements to any color it only takes one bad apple to make someone think badly of the whole bunch if they don't have experience with positive examples to look at.

I don't feel I am racist, I have many friends with very different back grounds and i have family that have married inter-racially. I feel fortunate that i was raised in a way that promoted acceptance.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think everyone is racist to an extent- I believe that we subconciously form stereotypes that are given to us by society and the things we are surrounded by. For example, when many people saw Barack Obama they thought- he's black- he should be able to dance- WELL that's a racist stereotype and NO he wasn't able to dance. IF you ever want to watch a movie that is FUNNY about racial stereotypes then watch Carbon Copy- one of my favorite movies!
    lovetoteachec

Answer by lovetoteachec at 2:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think racism is a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to another.

I don't feel like I'm racist, but I see where you're coming from-every once in awhile a "thought" will come into my mind. Everytime that happens I blame it on conditioning. I'm from a very small town and many people are racist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• its funny, i was actually looking up the definition for racist and racism today, so as to understand why this word is being tossed around like a volleyball!

Merriam-Webster
    Racist-
    1:a belief that race is a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

i certainly am not racist, although i've been informed differently several times! the only time i mention ethnic differences is for identification or cultural interests. and even then i try to be careful, because i want make sure i don't sound insulting. its so weird, lol.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 3:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• chickenhobbit>>>Girl!Where were you when I needed you?! I was being called a racist and it was hard todefend myself while trying to explain by computer! I am hardly a racist!

Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 4:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• racism is an irrational stereotype or fear of a group of people with a common characteristic usually based on significant differences in upbringing.

ex. two people die the an emergency room on black on white. The family of the black person calls everyone in the family and soon the er is flooded with mourning family wanted to see the deceased as this is the way they express "I got your back".
    The white family also calls their family, and their mourning is more private. "I've got your back, but not so visually."
    A white person observing the black family would think "Geez the guy is dead this is not the funeral home."
    A black person observing the white family thinks, "That poor man didn't have anyone."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The above are VERY GOOD observations and discussion points! I'm a minority myself and I would say:

1) No, the original comment was not a racial comment, it was just an innocence way of identifying one another. The example given above was perfect - we often refer to the others based on the "distinct" characteristics, since we don't often know each other, we can only go by the appearance. Parts of Asia where multicultural population is uncommon, all non-Asian (doesn't matter white or black people) are referred to as "foreign ghost" (ghost only means the hairy facial appearance often found in movies).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Continued from the previous answer - Here is an open eye example that I personally experienced.

When I travel to predominantly white people countries (US, Europe), I am usually the one that would be selected to go through further security checks at airports, if any. But when we travel to the far east (Japan, China, Indonesia), my husband, who is white, always get stopped and be searched his luggage and I would walk straight through. This experience gave us both a good perspective of being a minority. We are fear for what we don't know.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 AM on Jan. 22, 2009