Pregnancy or breastfeeding problems with Mirena IUC?

Has anyone out there gotten pregnant or known someone to get pregnant while taking the Mirena IUC? What about problems with milk supply while breastfeeding? Thanks!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got pregnant on the mirena. As far as breastfeeding my friend had her milk dry up bc of the mirena so good luck.
    -I dont recomend it to anyone! I had SOOOOOO many problems and so have others i know with that darn iud
    lonelymommyof2

Answer by lonelymommyof2 at 7:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I know about 5 people who have gotten prego on it...mine fell out!!! But it didnt decrease my milk supply at all, and I am guessing it was in there about 10 months (not sure when it fell out though, so I cant be positive!!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The mirena shouldn't cause to much of an upset in milk supply because, while the hormones in it are the same as the depot, they are not released in as high of a concentration as the depot shot.. the hormones are released slowly, and in small amounts, over time.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I thought you were not supposed to b/f on any kind of hormones?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You can breastfeed while on some kind of progestin only birth control, like the mini-pill (which has a VERY LOW effectiveness, like 80% I think is what mine was) or the Mirena.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have a Mirena, and I haven't had any problems with milk supply. My only problem with it has been spotting. No BC is 100%, but Mirena and Paragard are actually more effective than a tubal ligation or a vasectomy. Pregnancy does happen, though. My cousin got pregnant with an IUD (not sure which).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009