He is the boss?

My 2 year old just recentlly started to talk to me like he is the parent and I am the kid lol. When I tell him to do something and he says no I tell him dont tell me no and now whenever I tell him something like go night night he says dont tell me go night night or dont tell me no things like that and when I corecct him on saying these things he says dont tell me stop it I feel like he is 13 all ready he is not working with me at all so somebody please tell me its just a phase all children go thru this lol. If not how do I get back in the drivers seat? any answers would be great thanks!

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 2:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• at 2 he is just learning "hey I can control some stuff...lets test mommy."lol clever boogers.It is a phase but could lead to drama later if you do not handle it now.W/ds I would make it a choice, so no wasn't even an option.Example:Instead of saying "No pop at dinner" I would ask him"Ok would you like to choose the milk or the apple juice for dinner/the peas or brocolli?" etc.It made him feel like he had some say and I still got my way lol.If he is ylling no, just keep doing what you are doing and remain calm, ignore it as much as possible.At bedtime ask"ok do you want a story and then bed, or would you like another 5 mins "talking" time and then bed?" good luck mom, it's normal for 2.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• And remember that the way you discipline him now sets the stage for when he IS 13 - the brain development he's experiencing now is very similar to what he'll be experiencing then (imagine massive explosions of activity happening in the brain), so yes, this is a pre-cursor to what you can expect in another 10 years. Discipline now so that you can prepare him for appropriate responses down the road as well...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009