am i in the wrong?

okay.. so i have a two yr old son. but thats not my question.

i am catholic by birth. i was born into. i havent been to church in like a thousand years.

the father is wiccan. he very rearely practices.

my question is i have never taken my son to church is that bad??

i dont talk to him about god, i dont read the bible i dont own a bible.. am i doing wrong here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I thank that you should read the bible to him every night. The bible says raise a child up in the way that he should go and he will not depart from it. Maybe you should go to church and take him and let him be around others that believe in the Lord ... Thats what I would do. God bless you.. :)
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 3:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It all depends on what you believe. You said you were born Catholic, but do you still believe in the Catholic faith? If not then no, you are not doing any harm, because what would be the use in taking your son to church if you don't believe in going, yourself. If you do believe in God, and feel he is a very important part of your life, why don't you try getting some little kid Bible book stories and reading them to him. Like I said, it's all based on your beliefs. Don't beat yourself up over it though. He's only 2. There's still time no matter what you decide to do :)
    momma_gig

Answer by momma_gig at 3:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am a christian and of course want to incourage others in the christian faith. It seems that YOU feel you should or you would not be asking the question. (not being rude). Search your heart and if you feel that it's important that your child have a relatioinship with God read to him and take him to church. If his father objects explain to him from your heart why it is important to you. This is a question that only you can answer. Best of luck
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 3:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• OKAY I DO BELIVE IN GOD. BUT I DONT BELIEVE IN GOING TO CHURCH TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK WITH HIM, I'VE NEVER REALLY READ THE BIBLE MYSELF.. I NEVER DID MY FIRST COMMUNION(SP) BUT I BELIEVE THEIR IS A GOD AND THAT THEIR SOMEONE WATCHING OVER US.
    I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND CERTAIN THINGS THAT HE DOES, BECAUSE I REALLY DONT. AND I DONT THINK I EVER WILL.

SO UMM YEAH.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My husband is not my religion, but he allows me to take the kids to church. We have agreed that, once they get old enough to understand different religions, we will teach them about all the ones we "know". For instance, I'm sure Hindu is a lovely religion, but we don't understand it enough to teach them about it. They will continue to go to church through all this, unless/until they "break away" to another religion, then we will try to find them a different church. We have a baby's bible we bought at a garage sale. I think there should at least be one in the home, if you want to teach God's word, that is. How does the father feel about it? Conflicting religions can bring a lot of stress into raising a child, but, to me, it's one of the most important things you can instill in them: faith.
    Anonymous

• HIS DAD WOULD NEVER OBJECT TO GOING TO CHURCH HE JUST HAS DIFFERENT BELIEFS BUT HE BELIEVES IN GOD. EVERY RELIGION DOES. I THINK EVERY RELIGION JUST GOES A DIFFERENT WAY ABOUT IT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• oh, and I was not religious until I started taking my kids to church! I was a believer, but not a participator. That changed when I felt the urge to take my one-year old to church one day. Perhaps He is calling you back? :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have never brought my son to church either. We only discuss God if he asks about it. He never started asking questions until he started preschool and heard his friends talking about it.

I know how you feel because I don't believe in God so I'm obviously not a church-goer.

I don't think we are doing anything wrong-just teach your child how to be a good, kind and helpful person and the rest will follow:) Answer questions when he asks. If he really wants to go to church when he is older, take him and let him make up his own mind.

Sorry thats all I have for you:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am wiccan. I practice BUT, I teach my daughter about god and all of that and tell her the stories. Why? because she is 7 and I dont think she wants to be made fun of in school and its her father's wish. So, that is how I do it. but if you dont do it I dont think your wrong at all. Its your beliefs and your child. Let him decide what he wants to be. I dont send my kids to church or tell them of specific religions. they can make that decision for themselves when they are older.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 3:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you don't feel you should go to church why do you think you should take your son? I'm asking this honestly, not being snarky... Is it because if the guilt that your religion has ingrained in you so deeply? Or is it a sincere wish to be more of a part of your church and to share that faith with your child?
    You should never try to push your son into a religion that you yourself are not really willing to practice kwim?
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 4:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2009