Duel-religion relationships...

I'm not in one, but I'm very curious about those who are. If you are one religion and your SO is another, how do you make it work? Especially if it is something as significant as Christian + Wiccan. Do you support eachother's beliefs or not talk about them? What will you (or do you) teach your children? Which religion would raise them? Have you ever tried converting your SO or tried to convert to theirs? (Once again, I'm just very curious. Please don't turn this into a battle ground.)

momma_gig

Asked by momma_gig at 3:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my best friend is catholic(tho not practicing) and hubby is jewwish.At holidays, their home is chanakah but they do also go to her parents so kids can celebrate.It isn't an issue for them but the kids are beign raised jewish.I think it is a good question because many couples do not consider this when first in love, and later it causes issues.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• umm.. okay well i posted the other question, but well im catholic and i dont go to church because i dont see the point of it. so i guess i'm not really catholic. my SO is Wiccan, but doesnt really practice. we believe their is a god. we believe in keeping out faith. so umm. .yeha! :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am Pagan (initiated but non practicing Wiccan) and Hubby is Christian. He fully supports my religion, and I his. We find the similarities, and still have great and interesting discussions on the differences. He believes prayer and magic to be the same thing, as do I. We had an amazing dual faith handfasting.
    Our Beastly will be introduced to both religions through us, and will be expected to make a full investigation of at least 5 major faiths before he chooses his path (if he ever decides he needs one...) Neither of us believe in indoctrinating our child.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• cont ...
    He has not been christened, but we are planning a Wiccaning eventually. A Wiccaning does not dedicate a child to any god at all, but rather asks all of the gods (the Christian included) to watch over and protect your child while they find their own path.
    We have never tried to convert each other. We fell in love with each other as we were and wouldn't imagine trying to change something so fundamental as our faith.
    AnnieMcD

• Dh is Catholic, I'm Jewish, we are raising our son Jewish, because in the Jewish religion the children follow the mothers religion. We do celebrate both holidays though, we go to the Christian holidays on his families side and we either host or go to my families side for the Jewish holidays.
    dhhaj

Answer by dhhaj at 8:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I know a couple who is Christian/Muslim. He is Muslim, but went to a Christian school so he knows about her religion and respects it. She is Christian and is learning about Islam because they are raising their children Muslim. It works if both people have respect for eachother and their beleifs!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am Pagan he is christian. We honsetly don't have any issues. We don't really bring it up and when we do we have really interesting discussions... We have full respect for eachothers beliefs and don't try to push them on each other. As for the kids, we are raising them without religion. They can figure it out for themselves like we both did. It's their choice which path they choose, not ours. But when they do have questions we will try to come up with a neutral answer or both answer them according to our belief and then tell them it's really up to them what to believe...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It's never been an issue.  I'm really surprised by how big an issue some people make it out to We both have the "whatever floats your boat" mentality".

We teach our children to be smart open-minded individuals capable of choosing for themselves. I am teaching them world religions as part of their schoolwork.  I present it as "Some people believe this.... Other people believe that..." not "THIS happened and THAT happened and YOU HAVE to do this", etc. 

When they're older, they will have a well-rounded view of the basics of most world religions. They can do their own research & make their own decision as to what (if anything) they believe.

Have I ever tried converting your SO or tried to convert to theirs? Nope... wouldn't dream of it. I think that trying to convert people is just SOOO wrong.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm a Buddhist with Christian roots and dh is an atheist with Hindu roots. We have been married for ten and a half years. It has never been an issue in our marriage. We respect each other's right to believe whatever we want. We dont' avoid the subject, we have had some very interesting discussions, plus some gentle joking at each other's expense. As for raising the kids, neither of us want to raise them with a particular religious dogma. We talk about different belief systems but stress that fact that no one knows and they need to decide for themselves what they believe. We are more about teaching the ethical lessons that most if not all religions embrace than any specific dogma. It
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:12 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It doesn't matter what religion you are if you have respect for your spouse and his beliefs. And if you love one another, you'll make it work.

As for kids, we'll teach our son about a variety of faiths, and let him chose his own spiritual path. I found that no matter what you are and what you teach your children, they'll chose their own path regardless.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009