What would you do about this?

we have had a person that rides his bike through our neighborhood and stopping at houses asking if anyone has any odd jobs they need done and that he will do them in exchange for food or money. He has hit my husband up twice for money and I have told my husband not to give him anything but he has given him a couple dollars anyhow. My question is what would you do would you alert the police or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Mar. 19, 2012 in Money & Work

• We would not give him cash but I can always spare a PB & J at the least. At least he isn't out robbing houses. Lots of people are having tough times. If my husband were home and he truly needed a hand or needed someone to help him do something he would pay him. That is how a homeless guy became our regular lawn guy for almost a yr. My boys were grown and DH works 80+ hours a week. He mowed front and back and did edging every week for $20. About 10 months later he told us he wasn't going to be able to come anymore because he finally got a shot at JobCorp. If you truly cannot spare even a piece of fruit then tell him you wish you had it to spare but you don't.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I am of the opinion that you should always feed a hungry person if you can
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 2:32 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• When you help someone in need it comes back to you ten fold, look at it that way, even if your struggling.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I would leave a couple sandwiches and fruit (enclosed of course) at the entrance of my subdivision at the same time everyday.
    Anonymous

• Not sure that I'd just hand him cash but I would definitely try and spare something to eat, even if its just leftovers or an apple or something. I really wouldn't involve the police or anything unless he was causing trouble or something....Seems like hes just out of work and trying to get by.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 3:18 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I agree, I would offer him food if he came to my door, and really if my husband was home, and we needed something done, I might pay him to mow the yard, or trim bushes or something, I don't think he means any harm, probably out of work and looking for a way to earn money.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:30 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• In these trying times many of us are a paycheck or two away from being in a real bad way. There but for the grace of God go I. Feeding a hungry man is the right thing to do.
    mom2baq

Answer by mom2baq at 3:27 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I can always spare an apple or a sandwich. You never know what they are doing with money.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• the thing is we are struggling ourselves right now and don't have the extra to give so that is why my husband gave him a couple bucks when he stopped
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• contact a local social services agency, and ask them for guidance

Answer by rkoloms at 8:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2012