my son is about to be 18 months old. wat age do i start potty training and how?

in 10 days my son will be 18 months old. i am a first time mom. i am about to be 17 yrs old. i need ideas on when and how to begin potty training. i have a boy.

mommy_marisol

Asked by mommy_marisol at 3:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Boys can be hard to train. Just show him the potty, show him how to use it! Try reward charts...they love to see that they're progressing!
    Don't push him... it's hard sometimes not to get impatient, but he'll get it! :)
    amie_2007

Answer by amie_2007 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• When the window of opportunity comes knocking at the door!! Basically have your son watch you or your hubby/so use the potty so he can have an idea as to how its done and how he should use it!!! its easier for kids that young to sit down! and tell him to push his "pee pee" down or what ever you want to use for it! but let him get the feel of letting him watch u, your life will get easier if he takes an interest, and if not DONT PUSH THE ISSUE, WAIT UNTIL HE'S READY otherwise he wont want to until they are about 3, 4, or sometimes even 5!!!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I hear when the time comes to use cheerios for target practice. Makes into more of a game. I couldn't tell you if it works... I have 3 girls! Good luck!
    allord

Answer by allord at 4:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It's not based on age. When he shows at least half of the readiness signs, you can start. If you start before that, you will actually take much longer than if you waited and both of you will hate the process.

Get a good potty training book or check out babycenter.com for a list of the signs. If he's not ready, you can go ahead and get the potty and let him play with it for now and get a storybook to read to him to get him used to the idea.

Keep in mind, half of all kids are ready to start by 2.5 years - you are at 1.5 years. Of course, half of all kids are ready AFTER 2.5 years.

When the time comes, don't worry about "target practice". Teach him to pee sitting down so he only has to "aim" down - not actually aim at a bowl with standing and looking around the bathroom... that's MESSY!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• you know what i cant help you either but ur answers u got o here helped me too cuz i was wondering the same dang thing my son is almost 2 and i dont know if he is ready either so dont feel bad he can do it but refuses to so i dont push it i figure he will when he is ready!
    Kelsmomma123

Answer by Kelsmomma123 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• 12 months is when we started our boy with the royal potty chair we put him on right as he woke up from a nap and in the morning and before bed we put him in first with his clothes and diaper about 3 times to get used to it and then with out and let him have his sippy cup and even let him watch tv to get him comfortable with it as well as a toy box next to it and or books and i sat there with him and played
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• 33 months - 36 months is really the best time. Research has found kids who start around these ages take to the potty quicker and are fully trained easier. All kids vary but this is a good starting place, interest and the want are very important 18 months is quite young though.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 10:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• i started putting my son in pullups in january then he turned two the next month and i let him wear them until i got sick of him peeing in them and not really going to the potty like he should, which was june, i put him in undies and he has been pottytrained every since, i suggest a nice potty with books next to it, that works for my 2 year old
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 12:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Boys tend to be slower and usually older than girls, be patient. He's still pretty young...for a boy.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 2:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• He is kinda young. I used the MM system. My children would go on the potty and WOW...pick a MM "your the Best, Let's call daddy and grandma"!!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2008