Question for moms who keep a strict schedule

How the hell do you do it?!? I can never keep any sort of schedule or routine. No two days of mine are ever the same. I have a three year old and a three month old. We hardly ever go to bed at the same time from night to night and that means the time we wake up at is different. My husband's work schedule changes on a regular basis making it even more difficult.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I, personally, cannot keep a strict schedule. We have a routine...and it's not even set in stone. lol

There has to be some flexibility, I think....I do keep meals at about the same time every day, and bedtime starts at the same time every night. Every thing else...kind of happens when it happens with the exception of appointments and such.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Today's "schedule".......
    Mommy up at 5 for some "me" time
    The boys will get up sometime between 6:30 and 7ish.
    8am...breakfast, clean up, dressed for the day
    9:30...speech therapy for #2
    10:15...speech therapy for #3
    11:30...lunch
    12...leave to take #1 to school
    12:30...#1 at school
    1ish...#2 and #3 down for naps
    2:30...get Bits up to go pick up #1
    3....#1 done at school
    home around 3:30 snacks, play, TV, etc
    5:30ish...supper for all three, clean up rooms
    6:30ish...daddy home, showers, pajamas, play w/ daddy
    8pm...start bedtimes....daddy puts #3 to bed, calls next one, then calls next one
    8:30...boys all in bed, mommy heads to bed shortly there after!!! lol
    TiccledBlue

• Keeping a schedule is vital for a baby. Which means the wants of a Mama are thrown out the window. It means that sometimes you get a shower at 3pm or you wake up super early to get one. Bed time is a must. Both my kids 17 months and 9 y/o have a bed time and I stick to it. We are always home (with few exceptions-things do pop up). But I normally get about 5 hours of sleep each night.
    Cee670

Answer by Cee670 at 6:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have to keep a strict schedule or everything goes to heck in a handbasket. It's really not that hard and once you establish it, it works. The whole household runs better as a result. Of course, you can't be entirely rigid ; there has to be room for some flexibility. I started with nap times, bed and bath times, and meal times. I did not waiver on those. Everything else just fell into place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think that when your kids are little it is harder to keep a schedule. Also, if your husbands schedule is constantly changing that can not help.
    For me we have to keep the schedule we do because there are so many things that need to get done. It does vary a little from day to day depending on what activity we have and so on.

Try not to get frustrated and as the kids start getting older try to make it a point to do the same things at the same times. Start small like dinner time. Try to have it at a time that works for you whether you husband is there or not.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009