At what age do most girls wear bras and what kind? She is now 10 years old.

I have 3 girls but never have been around girls that much so everything like this is new to me. Any help would be great. thanks

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 4:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2012 in Shopping

• I would think it would depend more on how quickly they start to develop more so than age since girls will start to develop at different ages.
    I would say unless she starts growing something beforehand maybe 11 or 12 and just start with a training bra. I would just take my DD shopping and let her choose one.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 4:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I would say as soon as she started getting "buds" for lack of a better word,, if not now, it is going to be soon, maybe you should talk to her and ask her if she would like to go try some on?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• my dd is almost 9 (in June) and we recently bought her a two pack of training bras, the cami/sports type? She is starting to develop and it was especially noticeable with a new dress we bought her for Easter so I figured she needed to start wearing a bra. She doesn't wear it ALL the time but with tighter fitting shirts or dresses. girls develop at their own pace but if you feel she needs one soon then start looking at them at stores or letting her try some to see which she likes :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 4:56 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• My GD has been wearing a sports bra for several months when she went to dance class. Her instructor told several in her class they were 'poking out' too much to wear a leotard without at least a cami underneathj. Funny you ask this because I just made the decision yesterday that she needed to begin wearing one every day yesterday.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:01 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I think the answer is more "when they need one" versus an age. I love my mother, but she thought allowing us to do things like shave, wear deodorant, and have bras made us "grow up too fast" when it was really embarrassing to be hairy, stinky, and have boobs with no bra.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:15 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I'd say get a training bra when you start to notice development through the shirt. You'll know.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:25 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• Really this is not an age thing. Most girls are around 8-10 though now a days. It really depends on when they start to develop.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:37 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• When I was 8 I wore a full blown bra. My daughter will be 6 in May and so far nothing here.

I think around 8 I'll buy her cami's or undershirts if appropriate//necessary and a training bra when needed.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:40 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I was 13!! But my daughter will be younger. She is so tall and only 8. I think she will develop early. It's up to each individual girl.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:16 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• I was about 10 years old, but I developed early.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 6:31 PM on Mar. 19, 2012