Explain why original sin exists.

Why should I be eternally
tortured for something that a pair of naked fruit-munching
simpletons did in a garden over six thousand years ago? If you
believe that children are born stained because they were conceived
sexually, explain why I would be punished for something my
parents did by your merciful and just god.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The answer to your question kinda depends on the denom you're asking, IhartU. So I'll try to answer from the Eastern Orthodox perspective. We believe that the original sin was disobedience to God. That sin is on Adam and Eve specifically. But when they sinned, they turned away from God. That turning away led to a moral darkness, a lack of Divine influence so to speak. God was still there, but they were no longer listening. That deprivation led to a tendency to pride, lust, anger - a sinful nature. That's what we, humankind, inherited. So we aren't being "punished" for someone else's sin - Adam and Eve's sin changed our world, and us. Sex had absolutely nothing to do with it.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 7:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The original sin was passed down because when they ate it it seperated us from God and brought death to us which is something God never wanted for us. In turn he sent Jesus to earth to offer us a bridge so we can come into heaven and have eternal life. He has always given us free will and it was free will that seperated us from God and it is free will that can bring you back to him as well.

Answer by gemgem at 8:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well we inherit sin from adam and eve and when we are baptized we are washed clean,although we have the temptation to sin we don't.Children aren't stained because of the way the are concieved GOD said to spread your seed and multiply.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree 110% with the above posters!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The Original Sin is the reason Christians say that Human Beings experience suffering - as a result of Adam and Eve's actions. Genesis 3:16-19 describes some of the punishments in more detail. This is why all Humans die, because Adam & Eve disobeyed God.

Is it really moral to punish someone for someone else's actions? How can we even consider prompting our children to think like that?
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Man, you are on roll!
    mom2eeba

Answer by mom2eeba at 9:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Oh... gemgem, you brought up another issue! Why couldn't God simply forgive us for the unfair sin that was cast upon is for something we didn't even do? He is God after all, isn't he? Oh, and bringing up that nice, handy excuse of free will does NOT answer anything. Try tossing that stupid idea aside for a second and using your own thought process to come up with a REAL answer. does he not already know from the begining who will follow him and who won't? Why torture people with pain and suffering to bring them closer to him? It's like me saying I love my kids so much, but in order for them to love me the same, I must hurt them both psyically and psychologically.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• who really cares where it started, the point your trying to make.. you aren't going to find. If you are trying to disprove something, you are definitely NOT looking for it in the right places..If you don't believe in God fine, I don't either, but if your going to make a point, make one that makes sense instead of babbling on about something you aren't going to understand.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Original sin exists because some theologian was trying to explain this problem in morality without chucking the entire story of the garden of Edon and without saying the whole story is a myth and needs to be looked at from that perspective instead of literally.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• not all Christian religions believe in original sin.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009