Free will

To Christians: If your god wants us to worship him through our own free will,
why does he threaten us with Hell? If you have someone
threatening you with a punishment, it isn't free will.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Deities enacting free will predates Christianity. Zoroastrianism revolved around that concept well over 2000 years ago. A Zoroastrian chooses between Ahuramazda (the good guy) and Ahriman (the bad guy), and it is that belief that was incorporated into Christianity when Persians were absorbed by Christian invaders.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• How come society has laws? I mean if they have laws they can be broken we have free will and how come there are penalties for say murdering your child? I mean doesnt that mean society is threatening you? Same difference. Theres nothing stopping y you from going to heaven but you. Its your choice to believe in God or not. Just like its your choice to murder someone or not. Both have consequences.

Answer by gemgem at 8:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well said gemgem
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• AMEN gemgem! Couldn't have said it better myself!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I actually have to agree with gemgem on this. Your free will has nothing to do with a punishment. You still have the option.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Perfect answer gemgem
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I beg to differ. I know TONS of Christians who have said they the reason they believe in God is because they don't want to go to hell when they die. They would rather be safe than sorry.

It does all boil down to choice. I know stealing is wrong- not because the Bible says, but because it's COMMON sense and I know that I might end up in jail if I get caught. The puishment is a determent for some people to NOT steal. But if that punishment of jail was not there, how many people do you think would steal? Lots, because jail is the only reason some of those people don't steal.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• gotta agree with gemgem..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• well the reason for much of the bible, at least the 10 commandments is to make people fear punishment. which is exactly what you are doing by following the law.. sure you could steal, but you will probably go to jail, so you don't, and sure a christian could do the same, but they fear going to hell AND jail. Same concept to a Christian. Besides which most of these "sins" were actually laws to people back then... rather than having a constitution.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, I'm not Christian but I have to comment on this. Many areas of Christianity do not believe in Hell. There is actually no mention in the bible of Hell. If you do some reading it simply states that those that are not worthy of God will simply cease to exist. Turn to dust. There is no threat of Hell. That belief actually came from a combination of ancient pagan beliefs. And yet the areas of Christianity with no belief or teaching of Hell still continue to have belief and faith in God. As a pagan I do not agree with them. However I see no difference between their faith and my own. Both are based of Myth and personal proof. No one has seen God or Goddess or Jesus or the Saints... We all have to find our own path and our own truths. That's free will. All religions have the teaching for free will. And all religions teach there are consequences if you choose the wrong path... It's not a solely Christian idea!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2009