Would you allow a slacker to use you as a reference?

i just found out that my exhouseguest is using me as a reference on her applications. the last job i helped her get into was with my best friend. my best friend and her co-workers hated my houseguest working there. all she did was complain and whine. she never finished anything she started. the job was making boat seats out of foam. my friend has been working there for three years.
i get a call out of the blue from the ex house guest saying she's going to fill out an application and put me down. i told her don't do it. she said she was because i knew her, which is why i told her not to!
heres the questions:
have you ever gotten a call from a job wanting to know about a person?
and if so what type of questions do they ask?
even though i told her no, i know she's going to put me down anyway! she never listens to me.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 19, 2012 in Money & Work

• I have and I just answered what they asked honestly. I actually had a "houseguest" who was supposed to contribute to the fod and clean up and look fo a job.
    When they asked how long she rented with me I corrected them and told them we did not share a lease and she did not pay rent, When asked if she fullfilled any agreement we had arranged I told them no she did not.
    That was it.

Others have called me and asked about various people usually asking how I would describe the person, and I was thankfully able to say nice things.

I will not lie even for a friend.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• Nope I will not. If they try to get a job at my work place I will even give my boss a warning before considering them. I had a cousin who was real big into doing pills and other drugs apply and I told my boss not to hire him. He was not trustworthy.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:46 PM on Mar. 19, 2012

• Nope. Be careful what you say, or you could find yourself being sued for defamation of character

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• No and I agree with rkoloms (she is the HR expert!)
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2012

• that's what i told her when i told her no. i have to tell the truth. for some reason i just can't lie. never could
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Mar. 19, 2012