Best long term birth control methods?

I have been on the shot for a year and  I am thinking about changing it. We don't wanna another child for 3+ years. I hear bad things about the IUD. What about the implant in the arm? Is there any side effects? I gained weight on the shot so I don't want that! I have a pap appointment tomorrow. I just want some other's opinions before I talk to my Doctor. LOL Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 20, 2012 in Health

• I have mirena and love it so far. It was almost painless to get it put in about 9 months ago and I've not had to think about it since. There are risks to consider but I feel like it is right for me.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:20 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• and i wont have to think about it til 5 years is up. my friend had the implant in her arm and got it taken out about a month later because her whole arm would go numb. The mirena has little hormones that stay in a central location so weight gain and crazy emotions haven't been a problem with me. A lot of the problems I've heard about have to do with people getting pregnant without realizing it because they assume it can't happen. I am going to continue to listen to my body and if anything were to happen the sooner you catch it the better.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:24 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• Thanks! I will talk to my doctor about it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• I had the paragaurd Jud. No hormones and last 12yrs
    dkej743

Answer by dkej743 at 2:44 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• I wanted the implant in my arm so bad a few years ago because so many of my friends had it when we were in high school and no one had any side effects. They all got theirs free from the health department as minors. I was 18 when I tried to get it, and it was gonna cost over $600 out of pocket to insert it because I'm over the income limit of the health department. It's another doctor's visit (and more money) for removal if anything happens. I did find out after the fact that my aunt tried it, it made her gain a lot of weight, and she lost it all back after having it removed a few months later. If you're set on it, go for it...but it's pretty costly.
    xxbyamomentx

Answer by xxbyamomentx at 9:32 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• Honestly, you're not gonna know how you react to any birth control until you try it out, because everyone is different. I also used mirena with no side effects or issues. I used it for 4 years. The only reason that I had it removed early was because my husband and I both decided that we were ready to start trying for a second baby.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:41 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• I had the paraguard iud between babies. I was very happy with it. I had bad reactions to synthetic hormones and didn't want to deal with messy barrier methods, so paraguard was perfect for me. The potential side effects or problems sound scary, but the odds of serious problems with it are pretty comparable to the odds of serious problems (like a stroke) from hormonal BC and no one really worries about those. You should talk to your doc about the risks and your medical history, but for me it was great. No mess, no fuss, no worrying about birth control, and I got pregnant the first month after taking it out to TTC.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• I had the copper IUD, no hormones. I loved it! No side effects, and 5 years of not worrying about pregnancy, till we decided to have another baby, took it out and was pregnant within a month:)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 20, 2012

• If you know your own body cycle and rhythm, you can do natural planning. * No sex during ovulation... There are only about 3 or 4 days where you can normally get pregnant. If you can fore go sex those few days, and use condoms the rest of the time, you should be safe. It works for me.

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 20, 2012