Question on oil for baking a cake

I'm making a Buttermilk Devil's Food cake today and the recipe calls for vegetable oil (saffron, corn, sunflower, etc.) but I am completely out. Do you know if you can substitute Olive Oil for vegetable oil?

I would appreciate any and all help!! Thank you!

mommytoadam

Asked by mommytoadam at 8:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • In a Devil's food cake, especially one with buttermilk, the flavor difference will be negligible. You can sub butter, but use slightly more (and extra tbsp or so) and decrease the other liquid by 1 teaspoon.

But I would use the olive oil.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No, don't do it. It will change the flavor. You could probably get away with butter.

Answer by Bmat at 8:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• leave the oil out completely. it won't hurt the cake any. when i make cakes, i never put oil in them. when you go to beat the cake, leave it in the mixer for about 5 minutes or so. my mom used to make cakes for graduation parties, weddings, etc. she gave me these few tips. this works esp. well with white and yellow cakes. but when i bake, even brownies, i don't use oil at all... good luck
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yeah butter would be good, but when I was growing up all we had was olive and I was so used to it I didn't care. But it will probably taste different
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If I decide to use butter do I use the same amount as the oil? For example if it calls for 1/3 cup oil do I use 1/3 cup butter?

I'm the type of person to follow a recipe directions exactly so I'm not used to improvising!! :-)
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 8:43 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• butter contains water. It would not be a good sub. olive oil will work but will alter the taste. do you have shortning???
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I use olive oil and never had a complaint

Answer by admckenzie at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009