Does it ever get easier?

I am just wondering if the worries and troubles of raising a kid get easier when the kid gets older...or are they just replaced by a new kind of worry? Right now, we are going through the terrible twos. I hear a lot of NOs and GO AWAYS and she often refuses to potty train. So, aside from the potty training, is this just the same as having a teenager? (LOL)

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 8:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well said. My oldest sister said to my second oldest sister once. "Little kids, Little problems, Big kids, Big Problems." I'm going through the little kids problems stage right now. To be a mother is the hardest job as said my mom..I think she's right other than being President of the United States.
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 8:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• you are always going to worry just about different things and in a different way. and yes teens are going to tell you no and go away probably more often then the baby
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The worries are replaced. For little ones we worry about potty training and fever, then we worry about teeth and braces and bullying in school and grades and college and driving and drugs and alcohol and dating and pregnancy and living conditions and job and security, and so forth. Being a parent takes a lot of love and involves a lot of worry. My sons are in their 30's, and I still worry. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I've got nieces and nephews of every age and I'm convinced one thing that keeps up, especially with girls, is the WHINING. Egh. I've got a 3 year old and I'm having my second on Saturday, so I think we've got a long haul ahead of us..lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Honestly? I think it was easier when they were toddlers. I didn't think that back then though. It gets easier in some ways and much harder in others.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 8:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yea the worries just morph into new ones. They say no and wont potty train at 2. At 16 they say no and drive. It never changes on views on them they are always the little child we see at 2,4 and 6 yrs old. My kids all drive and now I worry about that. I worry about unprotected sex and them not using the condoms I gave them and getting AIDS. I worry about them meeting the wrong girl or guy and being sucked into a bad relationship. I worry about college and grades to get into college. I worry about them being able to pay bills, insurance, have enough gas in their cars, oil changes, and with my 19 yr old if shes eating or picking up junk food. You worry if they take the advice and good living moral standards you taught them etc etc.

Answer by gemgem at 8:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Hell no, it never gets easier! You'll worry about your kids until the day you die!
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Who taught your child to say, "go away"?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would put off potty training if she is "refusing"- the best thing with the twos is to really be discriminate in picking your battles. This is the time to show her that mommy means business... But to also not let her feel defeated. They have such great ability at this age... but their logic and reasoning hasn't caught up. They can't distinguish a want from a need... it feels just as strong, kwim? I think it does get easier in that you begin to handle not knowing what you are doing better :) LOL- Parenthood is a humbling- bring you to your knees- experience. And from my own experience and that of my family who has raised all the way to adulthood, the frustrations and all that are forever, but your ability to handle them definitely grows.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 8:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There are new challenges at every stage of parenting. I have often said that once you become a parent, you are a parent for life. However, if you will establish your authority when a child is two, you will have a much more pleasant life. You should not tolerate him telling you "no". You are the parent; you are the person of authority, and you are responsible for teaching your child to submit to that authority. My husband and I spanked our children for disrespect and disobedience. We started when they were very young, younger than two. Children are born naturally defiant of authority, and it is your responsibility to bring that into submission. Your life will be much more peaceful and you will enjoy your children much more when you establish that order in your home.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2009