how do I stop breastfeeding my 16 month old son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why stop? It's healthy and the WHO and UNICEF reccomend breastfeeding a MINIMUM of 2 years.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• lol I went through this. I stopped just after 2. She did not eat solid foods like she should have at that certain age, so the Dr. told me whatever i do, don't stop breastfeeding her (wouldn't do the bottle). So, she finally started eating solid foods at almost a year, but at this point she was living off the boob for so long that it was still hard for her to keep away from it. When she was about 18 months old, & she could understand words, I told her that she's drinking it all. That It's almost all gone. Well, i kept saying it over & over, telling her it's almost gone, until finally one day it was empty & she believed me. Over the next few months of this, we stopped being so dependant on the boob. Worked like a charm for me, but every child is different. So good luck!!! (by the way, although she didn't eat solid food for a long time, she is VERY healthy, & now the tallest girl in her class, thank god for mothers milk!!!)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Don't!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Sure all BF moms are going to say keep going! But if you are ready to stop (we weaned at 18mo) my advice is do it slowly... 1 feeding a time. This will help baby adjust easy & your supply will slowly deplete so you dont get engorged. Every child is different but plan to take about 1 month to fully wean. 1.take out daytime comfort nursing. Divert his attention with playing with him, giving him a sippy, a healthy snack.. after he has forgot about that (may take 1 wk)... and slowly go from there. take away 1 nursing time every few days.. leave the nap time & night time nursing till last.. since they will be the hardest. and

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• DONT GIVE IN! Once you decide to take away a nursing time, stand your ground! My dd took about 3 days per nursing time.. First day was *hell* next day she cried a lil' the 3rd she tried but didnt fight it. by the 4th &5th day she may try but pretty knew she was just testing the waters lol. Good luck.
    MommaTasha1003

• yeah, don't give in. Gradual is best but if he'she refuses quit cold turkey. If you're hungry you get this sippy cup, basically. Talk to a doctor about it too to make sure you're choosing appropriate foods for the age.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 11:55 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Just drop one nursing at a time. Take out the easy ones first then move to the harder ones. You'll probably end up with just one nursing before nap or bed. Take that one. Give the baby lots of love, make sure he feels like he's losing the nursing not his Mom. Fill up the extra time with reading, coloring and doing puzzles. That way he's just transitioning to a more mature stage :)
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Also, I'm a BF Mom. I tend to wean at age 2, but if you're done nursing, you're done. Don't feel bad or pressured to nurse one minute longer than you want to. I hate militant nursers! If they want you to keep nursing so much, let them show up and offer up their boobs!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009