not to be ignorant

what are african american people being called these days.i noticed some people just say black...but there are so many nationalities out there now that arent african but are dark skinned???i work with haitians and dominicans...this one doesnt want too be called this or that.or i am not spanish or i am not african american is there one word to describe.i usually dont say anything cause i dont care.i like you or i dont.but it is strange...

snowmom974

Asked by snowmom974 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• my view on it is I'm white. (Caucasian) I never here people refer to me as a Caucasian but as white. So if they can refer to me as white, why can't I refer to them as black?? Nothing racist or anything, its just the way I look at it.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If I'm trying to be PC then I say African American's but if I'm just around people I know and don't take offense I just say black....if I need to describe their skin period. I usually try to find other ways of describing some, deliberately ignoring their race, even though it would be the easiest way to point it out, just as an effort to make other people see things differently.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• haha this is funny. I call dark folks dark skinned, & light folks light skinned. Or just dark & light. I am of hispanic decent, but i'm pretty light skinned. But some people do consider me latin, although i am american. I was born here. So, i do not consider myself to be latin, or spanish or whatever. I friend told meine said that african american is not politically correct, & i should have asked why because i want to know. I think mostly though, black, white, light, dark are terms used to just describe appearance & not so much where there hertiage is from. I mean, you can say someone is white, but we don't bring up there nationality. So what's the difference?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• sorry, i did not spell check...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• LMAO!! My grandmother is a light skinned complexion black women. My mom is a dark skinned black women. My kids couldn't figure this out when they were little so when they would refer to them it was not the black grandma the white grandma....LOL!!! I don't know why this was so funny but when they were little we laughed at this all the time.

I don't care what I am called. I'm black African American. Personally I really don't know. I just don't really care that much. I'm a Dispatcher and when I have to give a description I say white male\female black male\female Hispanic male\female. Some people are just to sensitive in my opinion. Just don't call me the N word and I'm good.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My hubby made friends with a black guy when he was younger. He was raised in a pretty prejudiced household so it was really the first black guy he ever got to know. He asked him, do you prefer to be called black or african american? The man answered, "I prefer to be called Bill."
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• AnnieMcD I love that response! A name is the best way to refer to anyone.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:46 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• MrsTGray.. my daughters father is an EMT.. so I hear you on that... I know somepeople get offended because of names people call them ex. white/black/etc. I don't care what someone calls me, just don't call me a Mick. lol. The only reason it concerns me, is i'm not sure how to fill out some of my daughters paperwork.. she's mixed, but is pretty light skinned compared to her dad. lol. So I just check all that apply.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't get to be European American. Why do people get to be Native American, African American, Asian American, Hispanic, Pacific Islanders? I want a snazzy name that says I identify myself as a segment of the population, but not the whole! Dang, I feel opressed! European Americans unite and demand to be recognized! Lol Is it really all that serious?!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm a black female and I want to be called that. I feel that because I'm from America and not Africa I don't want to be called African american. I think the ones that come from Africa and obtain an american citizenship are african american.
    Anonymous