Pro's and Con's of a Diaper Genie???

I am debating on registering for a Diaper Genie but I dont know if its something i will really use or if its worth it. I heard they smell horrible and arnt worth it. What do you think???

Brittnayshankle

Asked by Brittnayshankle at 9:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OURS didn't smell at all (we had the diaper geanie 2) But we used to for probably his first 3 months religiously and then just stopped.. It was nice when we were going through all the diapers in the beginning.. So if you find a few months is worth it.. go for it. They WILL smell worse just throwing them in the trash!!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Pros- Keeps the room smelling fresh, easy to use. Easy to dump
    Cons- the refills are kind of expensive and i go through them pretty fast
    but its worth it to me if you don't want the room to stink. The one I have smells like baby powder when you open it.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 9:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We have the diaper genie 2 and for some reason it stinks, so I put baking soda in the bottom of it and that has helped so far, but the refills are expensive and it seems like we have to change our bag every 3-4 days...
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I never had one, but i have heard horrible things about them. They smell, they are hard to use, they break easily, they are a pain to use, etc. Again, all things i have HEARD. Everyone i know that has used them, didn't use them long. I just had a little trash can next to my daughters changing table that i would throw the diapers in, and i would take it out every night or even every other night. I bought these little blue bags that are scented, and i would hang a bag on the knob and put the poop diapers in. I could get 4 or 5 diapers in it before it was full. That really helped with the smell, even with it not being tied up. I got them at Toys R Us, and i bought a pack that had like 100+ (cant remember the exact amount) bags in it. Surprisingly it lasted FOREVER. My daughter is 18 months, and i JUST ran out of the bags. Now i gotta go back and by more. They lasted a long time since i wasn't using one bag per diaper.
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 9:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I LOVE my Diaper Genie! I have the DG II. I wanted the Elite, but I'm not too sure what the difference is anymore haha. My only con would be that it fills up pretty fast. But it's incredibly easy to change, and the refill is lasting longer than I thought it would. The refills are expensive (about $6 per ring thing) but I say it's all worth it in the end. We change our bag about once a week. Oh, and ours doesn't stink =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't think its worth it, the refills are expensive
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 9:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you decide to not get a Diaper Genie, ask for Diaper Sacks (I think that's what they're called) from Wal-Mart. They're blue scented bags, you get about 50 for only $2. I take those along with me when I go out with my daughter so I can dispose of her dirty diapers in a sanitary way =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:40 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I do not think they are worth it. Mine always smelled really bad when i opened it and the whole point was the eliminate odor. I started putting a wal mart sack on the handle of the door to the garage and everything I changed a diaper I put the diaper in the bag and I took it out about 2 times a day. This way diapers were not just sitting in my house to smell it up. Plus it is a lot cheaper. No refill rings to buy or anything. Just save your bags from your grocery shopping trips. I found this to work much better. I have friends who love their DG's though.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 9:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I was going to get one, but i have found that it was much easier and cheaper to get the Sassy Sacks or just grocery bags and put them near the changing table. So we just drop it in and tie up each diaper, almost free and I have never had a probelm with smell.

My son is 7 months old now and has at least 2 dirty diapers a day, and they all go in bags and in to the kitchen trash can.

IMO register for something that you will get good use out of.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:51 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding the smell of the poo will be sweet smelling and wont bother you at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2009