How does insurance work with delievery???

I have insurance for myself but the baby is going to be under my boyfriends insurance plan because mine cost to much to add someone on. Do we have to have insurance on the baby prior to it being born? if so how would you go about doing it since it isnt here yet?

Brittnayshankle

Asked by Brittnayshankle at 9:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can call his insurance and tell them about the baby but most likely you have to add the baby after its born but i would still call his insurance to make sure and i would call the hospital and ask them how they bill the insurance
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Did you call your insurance company? You should call them. Some will cover you and pregnancy and baby when born others would not cover baby until born in some circumstances. You and bf sitting together at the same time should each call your own insurance companies for each of you to understand both insurances. Congratulations mommy!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You have 30 days from when the baby is born to add them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yes, like the anon PP stated you have 30 days after birth to add the child. I think we waited a couple of weeks after ours was born.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 11:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009