Did God create more people than just Adam and Eve?

It appears God must have created more than just Adam and Eve.

What does this mean in practical terms for the original sin? When did God create these people?

If God created the extra people before the fall then are we led to believe that all the people God created also chose to eat from the Tree of Knowledge? This doesn't seem to make sense, because when Adam and Eve ate of it he appeared to them and told them off. God has quite a presence and it would no doubt be enough to scare off anyone else from eating from the tree! Either God let them all eat, knowing none of them had the knowledge required for them to distrust the serpent or he created them after. Because that would mean that God was creating imperfect people who were not the children of Adam and Eve. People who are not the children of Adam and Eve would not suffer from death or disease (which are the effects of original sin).

njmommy2boys

Asked by njmommy2boys at 9:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that the story of Adam and Eve is a lovely legend of the beginning of the Semitic people of the middle east. It's one of the main cosmologies that has survived through the mists of time. Do I believe it literally? No. Do I respect the fact that some do believe it literally? Yes. The Native Americans have differing cosmologies. (Read the Navajo stories of "Coyote and First Man" sometime.) The Chinese have another cosmology, the Australian Abo's still another and so forth. Since none of us were there I don't think any of us will ever have the full answer to this question. Others may beg to differ with me, and I have no quarrel with that, This is simply what I think.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• *scratches head*

It all confuses me : / Christianity was so much simpler when I was a kid. Now that I'm an adult, I just don't get a lot of it anymore. But I'm looking forward to people's explanations =D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• All people are the descendents of Adam and Eve.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Eve was the second woman God created. If you read Genesis carefully you will notice a part that seems to repeat itself, its not a repetition, there were 2 women, the first didn't work out......ok here comes the bashing, but first let me just say that I did not come up with this on my own, we studied it in depth and a serious literature class I had taken.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with caitxrawks.
    Anonymous

• The first woman God created (according to what I have been taught) was Lillith. She was made in the same way that Adam was, and not from an actual part of him. Therefore she was strong willed and obstinate, not at all a good partner for Adam. When God saw that she was (*I'm not sure exactly what she did wrong here...*) he exiled her from paradise into the wastelands.
    There she wandered, and depending on which myths you believe after that she became either the first vampire or the mother of all monsters...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If that is wrong, I would really like to have the actual story ... that is the story as I have heard it througout my life though. ..
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• mostly because the bible is a story book... they may very well have been the first people in that area.. but not the first people on Earth. That wouldn't be plausable if you take into account every different race. Besides which humans have been here long before Adam and Eve were said to be created. Ex. the story of Noah could not have happened as written.. but it could have flooded a large enough area for Noah to claim and believe it was the whole earth. Remember people in the bible also thought the world was flat and the sun revolved around the Earth.. it's just misinterpretations of things they didn't have a full understanding about.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• God created Adam and Eve....everyone from then on was a result of reproduction.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There's a lot of things on here that have me scratching my head. Never heard about Lilth in my Bible and I've read it multiple times. Adam & Eve were the first man & woman made and Eve produced the children after that. Yes they intermarried but the gene pool was perfect at that time. They also lived 900 years. Think about how many babies you could give birth to in that amount of time. Then those babies marry and have more babies and it quickly grows.
    Adam & Eve are also the ones with the original sin. They choose to do wrong. God gave everyone the right to choose. Just as we do with our own children. Mine were all raised the same but one choose to live a life of crime and has to pay the cost. Another choose college and is doing well but must pay the cost for college. God has given us this same choice same as we give our children.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2009