Child protective services

I know abuse you report about what about neglect of discipline? To the point that the child now is getting violent when others try to correct her?

She is taken care of in all other aspects..she has clothes, a place to sleep, food to eat, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That doesn't need CPS, that's needs intervention with the police.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• not a good reason to report to CPS
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If she becomes violent to me or my children I'd report her to the police. Don't think I would? I did my own daughter when I caught her stealing. Kids have to be held accountable.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with frogdawg that violence is not usually the response to a lack of discipline. It sounds like there is something else going on somewhere. Maybe not at home, but maybe at school. Or with a sitter. Or, as much as I hate to say it, even though you say she is taken care of in all aspects, that doesn't mean there isn't something going on there. She may not be getting physically abused, but maybe someone else is.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't think you will get much of a response for reporting this; at least not in my state. They hardly even investigate real physical abuse of a kid here and of course you see us on tv with dead children but nothing seems to change- overworked and very inexperienced social workers are a big part of the problem. Maybe we should have some experienced moms and grandmas volunteer to help the social workers! I don't know what the answer is but am sick of how this country responds more to animal cruelty than to child cruelty!
    twinkle316

Answer by twinkle316 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I wonder if a report to her school would be more appropriate. I suspect this behavior is coming out in school so they maybe aware. However, if another parent reports concern they might be able to get some resourses in place.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That's not a CPS issue.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Have you spoken with the child's parents about this? I would start there to see what they say, how they react, etc. This might provide you with some insight as to what attempts they have made to correct the situation and the reason(s) for the child acting out. I agree with shmorris56 this is not a CPS issue. I think if anyone is considering involving CPS, one has to be quite certain there is abuse and the child is in danger. Inapproriately involving them will only cast an unfarily negative light on the parents and this could add undue stress to perhaps an already stressful situation (i.e. dealing with the reason for the violent behavior). Talking to the parents might be welcomed as they may not recognize what their child is doing or they may need an outlet to discuss. It could be a good opportunity to provide some help.
    MarieMuth

Answer by MarieMuth at 3:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009