Animal Cruelty vs. Domestic Violence

I was just wondering why does animal cruelty hold a longer sentence than domestic violence. Now, don't get me wrong I know animal cruelty is wrong in so many ways, but I've always wondered why is it that men who go around constantly beating women always in most cases get off, but in Michaels Vick's case he got 2 years. Is it because the animal can't defend and remove themselves from the situation? However, if a woman defends herself and shoots the man...she's going to jail. I just don't understand it. I know people love animals and I understand that, but don't we love human beings more? We are the one's that kept life going and keep this country running. This question isn't to come down on anyone that owns animals because Dh has a dog himself and I would hate to see something happen to the dog, but the whole concept is just confusing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Women and children are limited by what is available and what they have access to. Restraining orders are issued only if the judge is sympathetic, shelters can only hold so many occupants, most shelters don't accept male children over the age of 10/12. Are you really going to leave your son behind but take everyone else? A mother would rarely do that. Leave her baby to be beat in her place. Yeah right. Most women do not press charges because when the man says they will kill you if you do - they are serious. Police can only protect you so much. They can't be your bodyguard. I once worked with a woman who was shot and killed in the parking lot of the police station surrounded by officers. These women know the score. They know they can't leave until they have a plan and can put it into action. cont....

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't know, but I fully agree that it's messed up.

I love animals as much as the next guy, but I DO place a higher value on human life. If the penalty for domestic violence isn't going to be greater, it AT LEAST needs to be the same.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm with you, I think most of the things with law and politics are back wards.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• it's because he is famous and they wanted to make an example out of him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, yes he was famous, BUT his case was so horrific, and (the most important part) he was running a huge dog fighting empire. Dog fighting is illegal. He deserves every second he gets behind bars.

misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I didn't say he didn't deserve it but doe he deserve more time for having dog fights (which I totally hate) than a man who beats his wife and puts her in the hospital. In my humble opinion no he doesn't. yet he got it and I believe it's because they wanted to make an example out of him and being famous and in the public eye helps make that example.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The animal cannot remove him/herself from his/her environment and is defenseless, for the most part. Women are offered domestic violence hot lines to call and shelters to utilize. They can also enlist the help of a trusted friend or family member to help them escape a violent situation. They can call the police and get restraining orders put into place, etc, whereas an animal cannot. Plus, many women will not further press charges after filing a complaint.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It's not as easy to remove your self from a DV situation as you want to make it seem. Have you ever heard of battered woman syndrome? I love animals but a woman being beaten sure as hell trumps dog fighting. in my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• misskimmy I see what your saying, but isn't beating someone illegal too?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Its a failure on our systems part. Just like why is it parents who sexually abuse their children rarely see the inside of a jail? In custody cases if sexual abuse is brought up the childs word isnt enough and only 5% of people make up sexual abuse, only .5% of children will make up sexual abuse but 70% of those who take it to court lose custody. That means alot of kids are living with their abusers. Just as in child abuse, parents are often given a slap on the wrist and family reunification is the courts concern ignoring the abused childs wants and needs. There are many many many failures in our justice system.

Answer by gemgem at 10:40 AM on Jan. 22, 2009