9Month Old Has Stomach Virus

My 9 month old has a stomach virus. He's not really throwing up anymore, but he's got pretty bad diarrhea. He goes about every 2 hours. After he goes I either give him pedialyte or water to keep him hydrated. I was wondering if anyone knew a good time to schedule a doctor's appointment, though? Should I go today or should I wait till tomorrow? He doesn't seem sluggish or anything, he's only grumpy when he poops.

mambearwhitt4

Asked by mambearwhitt4 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Hi, Awww I hope your little one feels better my four have all had that stomach virus just this week. I gave everyone Pedailyte---- OH! and GRIPEWATER--- I had NEVER heard of this you can purchase at Walgreens! This is usually for colicky babies but will help soothe his stomach as he passes bowels. just make sure he stays hyrated.
    PeridotBeauty

Answer by PeridotBeauty at 2:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I really think you should take him in. My daughter who in now 17 had the stomach virus when she was 9 months old and she seemed ok? when i took her in she was dehydrated even though i was giving her water and such. and her diaper was wet but somthing in the urine itself made the docs give her an i.v. so just take her in just in case. by the way I have a 9 month old know............their so much fun. its a girl
    savvya

Answer by savvya at 10:20 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yeah, I'm making an appointment for when my husband gets off early this afternoon. What are the signs of dehydration? Anyone know?
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Any of these signs could indicate that your baby is dehydrated or is becoming dehydrated:
    • More than six hours without a wet diaper
    • Urine that looks darker in his diaper and smells stronger than usual
    • Lethargy
    • A dry, parched mouth and lips
    • No tears while crying

Signs that your baby may be seriously dehydrated: • Sunken eyes
    • Hands and feet that feel cold and look splotchy
    • Excessive sleepiness or fussiness
    • Sunken fontanels (the soft spots on your baby's head)

delta27

Answer by delta27 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thanks, Delta. That was really good. Luckily he doesn't have any of that but I figure there's nothing wrong with being extra safe and taking him into get checked out. It'll make ME feel better, at least.
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• MY SON HAD THAT NOT TOO LONG AGO I TOOK HIM IN THEY SAID ONLY GIVE HIM THE JUICE FROM CHICKEN SOUP NO NODDLES AND SALTEEN CRACKERS AND WHITE PLAIN RICE AND GATORADE THATS IT NO TOAST AND NOTHING ELSE AND HE WAS BETTER THE NEXT DAY THEY WONT GIVE HIM ANYTHING UNLESS HE HAS HAD IT OVER A WEEK
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:26 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• OH AND U NEED TO TAKE HIM IN ONLY IF HE IS NOT WANT TO DRINK ANY THING AT ALL BUT IF HES DRINKING THEY WONT DO ANYTHING FOR U BUT WHAT I SAID
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Watch him for dehydration and STOP giving him pedialyte. Stick to only his formula or breastmilk. If he is eating real food, then give him some bananas, mashed potatoes, starchy food, carbs...whatever of those he can eat to help bulk him up.

Pedialyte, juice and gatorade make diarrhea worse because of the sugar in them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Oh, the doctor recommended the pedialyte. I give him the non-flavored kind.
    mambearwhitt4

Answer by mambearwhitt4 at 12:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Pedialyte as much as you can afford. I'd take him to the Dr and quick. Little ones can DIE from dehydration, it's serious. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009