Help!! What can be done to build up a 9 month olds immune system?

I have a niece who is 9mo old and she started daycare about 3 months ago. She can't seem to get well, no matter what. She has had ear infections, severe colds, rsv, thrush, and now croup. We don't know what to do anymore. Can't take her out bc mom and dad have to work. Any suggestions????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Make sure that her hands are washed often, because every time she sticks fingers in her nose or mouth she's transmitting all of the daycare's germs into her system. The first year in daycare is hard, with all of the illnesses, but the payoff will be worth it in the end. As suggested, either give her a probiotic or just have her eat YoBaby yogurt everyday to make sure that she's got a proper balance of good bacteria in her gut. Make sure that she gets quality sleep and a balanced diet. It will get better!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, her getting sick is building antibodies. What I do for my daughter, and always have, is give her the "herbs for kids" sweet echinacea. It says "1 year and older" so when she was younger I gave her a smaller dose (it's a liquid).

Daycare is hard though because kids will always get sick. It's sad...

You could also try adding probiotics to her bottles (they make a childrens powder) which can help restore the good flora and build and immune system ( assuming she has been on antibiotics).

This is just what I do, and even while my dd was at childcare while I worked out at the gym she never got sick...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Herbs for kids is great as mentioned above. The probiotics as said above, is the best answer. My mom had chronic bronchitis, & probiotics have been the only thing to boost her immunity. She has not had a case in 2 years, She takes it daily, & it is harmless & almost impossible to OD on. Make sure the bottle, or whatever you mixing it with is not hot. That will kill the probiotics. They are alive. I also have IBS, since i've been taking probiotics daily, i have had NOT ONE case of tummy aches. The stuff is amazing, & is very un appreciated. I still give my daughter probiotics, & she almost never gets sick. Also, they are now learning that probiotics help slow the aging process, so it wont hurt for mom to take it either. They are now putting it directly in facial creams. I'm now thinking about making my own facial cream w/ it.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Best thing: Leave her where she is. Let her get sick. It will build her immune system and she will not be sick as often when she start school unlike the kids who have been home and are just now being exposed to t he same germs.
    Anonymous

• OMG I feel your pain!!!! My DD started daycare in August at 10 months and she's been sick so often this fall it's been crazy! She was in daycare 2 days and got sent home with a fever! She's getting better now. You can't avoid those illnesses in a group setting you just can't (my center is very clean and they follow great protocol). Just plan on wiping her nose til April. Next year will go better.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009