Sewing

Is it easy to learn to sew from a book or DVD? Is it worth the price of the fabric to make things yourself or does it seem easier and cheaper to just buy and outfit at the store? ( girl clothes )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• depends I would say the simple stuff you can save money on but if you don't know what you are doing and it takes you forever then it will probably be cheaper to buy at a store depending on how precious your time is but window treaments pillows and the like are much cheaper to do yourself
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 10:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Learning to sew is great and worthwhile. I'd tell you to shop in the thrift stores. My kids are some of the best dressed in their school because of the thrift stores. I go to the ones on the hoity toity side of town and get designer labels for pennies! People always comment on how well I dress my kids and that's the secret, thrift stores!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Sewing is a wonderful skill to have. I have to say that I recently bought several mix and match separates for $3.50 each. I could have bought the fabric and made twice as many for half the cost. But I didn't feel like messing with that kind of material. If I am going to make something for my daughter, it is either something special, or something that I saw and liked but didn't want to pay so much for. So I try to find a pattern similar to what I found and make it. I also quilt and have collected my favorite outfits of my daughters to make into a quilt later. And it is very easy to learn. I found a singer booklet for less than $10 that explains all those directions in the pattern and taught myself very quickly.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 2:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• sometimes I spend more to buy the fabric and make something but that's generally on special outfits. Of course, I spent about $100 on fabric but got an entire mix and match set for my DD that was about 20 different outfits when mixed up from it :)
    It's a lot of time and work to get the clothing done, but I really enjoy customizing her clothing.
    Anonymous

• I am pretty good at sewing.. and have a serger I can use.. and honestly I think its cheaper and easier to buy clothes for my kids, however I like to make them special pieces (like I made my DH a little red riding hood) and I dont buy patterns, I just use trial and error. It really depends on how often you are going to make things and WHAT you are making. A simple circle skirt, easy and worth it to make on your own... but a coat? NOT worth it, lol.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 3:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• PS, a great book you can buy is the Vogue/Butterick "step by step guide to sewing techniques". I LOVE this book, its my sewing bible... easy to read, easy to understand (even for beginners) it has a handy "how to read and use patterns" section which is nice because even those of us with training have a hard time with some patterns and terminology (and sometimes you get patterns written in the UK or italyand they use CM, not inches, this helps you convert). Its an AWESOME book and well worth the investment. I got mine used for about.. $15 with shipping. It was so worth it, I use it almost every time I make a garment.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 3:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Also Sewing for Dummies is a good book.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2009