Is my baby overeating?

My son is 14 weeks old and it seems like he is CONSTANTLY hungry!

I have so much trouble getting him to sleep at night because he never seems to get full enough. For example... last night he had 6 oz., then an hour later he had 4 more oz., then about an hour and a half after that he had 8 more oz.! He finally slept about 5 1/2 hours, but then woke up wanting 8 more oz. I have a friend with an 11 1/2 month old, and he doesn't even drink 10 oz. at a time!

I breastfeed my son during the day, but it's too hard to breastfeed at night. He would wake up every hour or so to eat. I keep hearing that he should be sleeping through the night by now, but we don't even seem to be close because he's always so hungry.

And the weird thing is, this only happens at night. During the day he is breastfed and fine.

So, is it possible to overfeed him? I'm really scared that he's going to have weight problems when he is older because of this.

JamieLGates

Asked by JamieLGates at 10:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like a growth spurt, and it's totally normal. He will slow down soon enough. At this age babies can't over eat.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:47 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Not many 14 week olds sleep through the night. I believe it is possible to overfeed formula but not breastmilk. That seems like a lot of formula. Personally, I'd drop the formula and breastfeed at night, even if it meant waking frequently. That's just me. The more you nurse, the more your body makes, and before long, he'd likely get enough during a nursing session that he wouldn't have to wake every hour. I don't know if this made sense... hope I helped.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Why aren't you nursing at night, that's the easiest time!? I won't worry though, it sounds like the baby is just growing fast right now.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009