how do i

how do i teach my 10 week old to fall asleep on his own? ? i hear that this is important. right now i rock him to sleep every night. is there a good way to soothe him once i lay him down and he starts crying besides picking him back up and rocking him? he gets up 2-4 times at night and needs rocked back asleep, i am extremely tired! also tried co-sleeping but he does not like when we hold him laying down, he squirms the whole time.

Mgirly84

Asked by Mgirly84 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly don't believe that at 10 weeks it's so important. 6 months, maybe, 10 weeks no. But I will be the oddball in all the answers to be honest. He wont sleep through the night then, and many babies don't sleep through the night until 1 year old, unless parents force them to cry it out... which I also don't believe in doing in children under 6 months old...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• that is really young to teach him to sleep on his own. wait a couple months. he's gonna wake up- he's a baby :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There really isn't any magic cure. My 7 month old is just now sleeping through the night most of the time. Get a routine for bedtime and be consistent. For us, he gets a bath, lotion, and pajamas. Then we walk around his room and turn on his music, his nightlight, and say good night to his toys. Then we turn off the light and I kiss him and put him in bed. Luckily he goes to sleep SUPER easy with this routine.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Its a little early for him to learn to soothe himself. He'll need to learn eventually but he is still really young. At this age, here are a couple of tips. 1. Make sure you get all the bubbles out. If he doesn't burp after a feeding, it will likely wake him back up as soon as you lay him down flat. 2. Keep him close to your body for as long as you can while you are putting him down. Babies don't tend to like the feeling falling and it will sometimes wake them up. 3. If he does wake up when you put him down, try a pacifier or patting him rhythmically on his chest. You should start establishing a consistent bedtime routine now...so that in a month or two when it comes time for him to learn to soothe himself to sleep, he'll be ready.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My son would just squirm until he was comfortable or just plain old tired and fell asleep. It is not gonna hurt him to just let him whine or cry until he falls asleep. I would help my son fall asleep by putting music on softly and patting his back
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 11:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• He only wakes 2-4 times a night? Sounds like you have it easy! Try rocking him until he is almost asleep and then put him down. If he fusses, wait a moment to see if he settles. If not, rub his belly, speak in a soothing voice. If this doesn't help him fall asleep, pick him up, since he is still young. Try doing this for every time he needs to go to sleep, or every time he wakes at night.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I had to let mine cry. It was tough to listen to them cry. It took 2 - 3 days before mine would finally sleep through the night. I had to do this so I could be a better mom to my children.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i would let him/her cry themself to sleep..i know it is hard but...it works for most babies
    HAUTMAMMA3908

Answer by HAUTMAMMA3908 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Rock him til he's drowsy and relaxed but not asleep yet, the heavy eyelid stage. Lay him down and smile at him, keep your hand on his tummy for a few seconds and let him drift off. It worked for me. My Mom told me to put them down and dissapear fast, but my DD woke up that way. If I stayed right there and smiled at her, she drifted off peacefully. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009