Should I wake him up for antibiotics?

My 7 month old is recovering from a stomach virus and has an ear infection. He's taking Ammoxicilin (sp?) every 8 hours. He sleeps through at least one dose a day. Should I wake him up for it or just give it to him as soon as he wakes up and then resume the 8 hour schedule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It might work better to get him on a 3 times a day... I would give it first thing in the morning (6-7) then around 2 or so... and then before bed (8ish)
    Of coase make adjustments to when he wakes and goes to bed... those are just my best guess.
    In the hospital when we send a child home on an 8 hour med this is how we make it work... it's not really every 8 hours, but it still works. Just make sure your child finishes all the medication even if it takes an extra day or so.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Not sure about this one...I would call the pedi and ask.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would lean towards waking him up or at least giving it within 2 hours of when he was supposed to get the dose. Antibiotics work by providing a steady flow of the drug in your system. They don't work as well when that flow is interrupted.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• How late would the does be if you didn't wake him? Maybe you can alter the dose times, so that the second dose falls during a more awake time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Ask the dr. I hate that when they're asleep good and they're supposed to have the meds.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009