How does a step-mom approach mom about parenting styles?

I dont think she is wrong, I just think in would be better for my step-son if we got togather and came up with a plan for both households so the rules are consistant. My husband doesnt think she will be open to the idea of a 'sit down'
Any ideas?

AlishaK126

Asked by AlishaK126 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• You don't. Have your hubby do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think you should let your husband and her sit down and discuss it. I realize you spend a lot of time with him but if she's not ok with you yet I wouldn't put more pressure on her. You're part parent but if she isn't open to you it might come off better if it was just him and her to initially discuss it.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You only take care of your own back yard. Don't even bother she is probably going to tell you off I know I would...I know you mean well but leave it alone, she will think you are trying to tell her how to raise her kid. Let the mom and dad handle their kid you don't get involved just be there for the kid treat him with love and respect treat him like your own at your own time. Just be a good stepmom that you are. GLboy kissing mom

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You dont. Heres the thing there are two homes which means there will be different parenting styles most of the time. What she does in her home with her child is her business, what you do when hes there is yours. I would be beyond pissed to have my sons step mom come tell me what she thinks I should and shouldnt have in terms of rules in my house with my child. I would never go to hers and tell her how to parent her kids. Its rude and honestly your husband should have contact in regards to those issues and unless its MAJOR like shes letting him juggle knives or be a devil worshipper its none of your concern.

Answer by gemgem at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with munch...but if she will not work with your DH..then you and DH make the rules for your own home.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• IMO. Truthfully I think the father and mother of this boy should be getting together and discussing the rules to go by in both house holds. You should have nothing to do with it.  The only part you should have in it is, to in force the rules they decided on.

Answer by louise2 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I disagree with part of butterfly..these women think you should sit back and just love the child..BS your home and you deserve to be respected...You will and have to discipline your skids or they will walk all over you.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You need to let your dh handle it or itll cause drama. As for demanding respect no honey you have to earn it from step kids, it isnt automatic. If my son came home and said his step mom acted that way Id be on the phone with my lawyer faster then you could say sole custody.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• BS to earning respect...what kind of DH would even allow that..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:03 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• IF U GET ALONG WITH HER ALL THREE OF U SIT WITH HER AND TALK ABOUT IT IF SHE HATES UR GUTS HAVE UR HUBBY DO IT LOL
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:05 AM on Jan. 22, 2009