Feeding 4 month old

What/when/how were you feeding your baby at four months? I feed mine at 6am BM, 9am something like bananas or peaches (whole container), 11am little BM, 12pm carrots/green beans, 4pm little BM, 5pm carrots/green beans, 9/10pm BM

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 10:49 AM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At that age, mine were taking about 50oz of formula per day and we had just started on cereal and baby food. So..anywhere from one serving of cereal to a serving of cereal and the equivalent of 1 jar of stage 2 food per day.

At 6 months, they were taking about 40oz of formula per day and a total of about 6 stage 2 jars per day (2 per meal) and some finger foods for snacks.

One question...with all of that babyfood, did she (he?) drop the amount she was nursing? I ask because our pediatrician said it was fine to give them baby food, but their liquid intake shouldn't drop drastically until they start table foods as baby food is only for practice and not nutrition. Not a criticism...just wondering....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• at that age most of the diet should be BM/formula, did your doctor say to put them on food?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That seems like a lot of food for a 4 month old. If he/she seems content then you are doing fine, but make sure they are getting a lot of breastmilk. Breastmilk or formula should be the main focus of their diet at 4 months.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Wow...I'm surprised you already have your baby on so much baby food at 4 mo.! It sounds like you're doing fine. I started mine on solids around 4 1/2 mo. but it was only cereal (different kinds) until about 5 1/2 mo. Once she was about 6 mo. old, I tended to do three meals a day with solids (fruit, veggie and grain at each meal) and she got formula or breast milk 3-4 times a day (6-10 oz at each feeding).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• ***Keep in mind that babies don't absorb many nutrients from solids at this age (ever notice that the poo looks a lot like what you fed them?) so the main focus should really be breast milk or formula.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Also, If your wanting to know the best age to start solids...around 7 to 8 months. I know people say 6, but honestly IMO the longer you wait the better.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Excuse me cloud144. I am looking for advice, not criticism. And my son will never be a pain in the ass either. Everyone has trouble with their first child and you should NEVER criticise them unless they are hurting their child, and my son is extrememly healthy and very advanced
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 11:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• At that age, my kids only had breastmilk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Also, according to your schedule, it seems that your baby is not drinking enough breastmilk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thank you for all your advice (except cloud). It is very helpful!
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 11:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009